Well, it finally happened.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allranger

Reaction score
So I got a letter in the mail on Saturday. Apparently the city inspector paid me a visit while I was not home and think I have to many rabbits. Have 10 days to get down to 2 of them. Not sure what I am going to do now.

Oh well.

That's a shame! Did they have a complaint or was it a routine check?

How many rabbits do you have? Can you farm out the extras to a friend until things quiet down? Fortunately, rabbits are a lot easier to hide than most other critters.

The letter stated they had a complaint. Not sure why this time of year. No flies or smell in the winter. I clean them every week and hang up flie traps during the summer any way. The rabbits have been there hidden for two years and no body knew. I bought a fix it up house that the previous owners let go for a long time. I suspect that some of the neighbors maybe feeling I'm taking too long to get it "fixed up." Hard to do with less work hours. Not sure what I will do. I'll try moving them some where. I guess this is pushing up the move to the country options. It is just irritating because they rabbits were not harming any one and most people did not even know they were there. Not to mention they there are plenty of other violations in the neighborhood so I feel like the city is just being a jerk. I'm not going to report them though, that would just be making some one else deal with what I am dealing with.

first find out the city laws on your own DO NOT trust them untill you know for sure most of the ordinance officers do not actually know thier city ordinances they just pick what THEY like a go from there. second hide them inside. get a shed with a lock<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:14 pm __________<br /><br />where in Id are you? i may be able to help hide them if you are close enough or i may buy some from you if you want

If one is an official, or a law enforcement officer, one cannot ignore a complaint but has to act on it to the "letter" of the law. I have friends in these positions, and they hate it when they get "trapped" into enforcing these kind of laws. It is something they would never do on their own, but if someone complains they have no choice. Try not to make an enemy of the messenger. Getting to know them may even get you some info on "loopholes" down the line.

In our town, the code enforcer has to investigate all complaints and tell you to change your ways, but they don't have to cite you.

As a complainer this has occasionally been annoying to me--the neighbor's violent dogs kept jumping the fence into my yard and not letting me out of my own house. However, if I were ever in your shoes I think I would be able to politely nod and say "yes, sir" and then do as I pleased--maybe a little more discreetly.

If there are many other unchallenged infractions in your town, I might really try to just move them indoors somehow--a shed or garage or something. It doesn't seem like the officer is that interested in bugging you, the complaint just tied his hands.

If you move them indoors,make sure the basement windows have curtains heavy enough you cant see through.

Well, I have moved the rabbits I want to keep but the sad part is I had to loose over half of the rabbits. Some rabbit sitters and some curtains should get me though the worst of it. I am going to clean up the rabbit area and move all the empty cages to an off site location until things blow over. I have the two token rabbits sitting out in the open for every body to see now. :D

The only sad part is that I hate trying to sell rabbits quickly. Now I wonder if they have gone to good homes or not. :cry: I do use the culls for meat myself but I still make sure they live a good life before they are butchered. I just worry that not every one else does.

Did you verify the ordinances yourself for the town and/or county you live in? It could be something as simple as applying for a "breeder's license" or something like that. I hope it works out for you- that's really awful that people can be such jerks about another person's hobby on their own land that doesn't affect anyone else in any way. :(

Best of luck,

Lauren

Latest posts

Back