fleshing and cutting question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizardboy101

Reaction score
How exactly do I flesh after first alum solution mix and how do I know when it's done? Also where at on the pelt do you make the slice (instructions say rum to shoulder but that does t seem right. Also does anyone tan with the tail and head still attached. I want to tan a bucks hide just to keep as a moment(he was my first champagne) so I want the head and tail still attached

Well I'll chime in until the pro taxidermist gets with you. For the most part rabbits skin really easy and almost never need to be fleashed, although after about 48 hours you will see the leftover meat dry and become very easy to peel off, even the fat. As a kid I used just dry alum and salt. Skinning the mask is always talented but the tail is pretty easily done my holding at the base and just pulling, remember a dry condition is always nice for tanning, stay away from those rainy days that might be humid and cause the pelt to rot. Also I always pined and streached the hide and trimmed unwanted belly fur after it dried. Good luck and please post pictures to let us know how it came out. :jedai:

SyP":15agm1fa said:
Well I'll chime in until the pro taxidermist gets with you. For the most part rabbits skin really easy and almost never need to be fleashed, although after about 48 hours you will see the leftover meat dry and become very easy to peel off, even the fat. As a kid I used just dry alum and salt. Skinning the mask is always talented but the tail is pretty easily done my holding at the base and just pulling, remember a dry condition is always nice for tanning, stay away from those rainy days that might be humid and cause the pelt to rot. Also I always pined and streached the hide and trimmed unwanted belly fur after it dried. Good luck and please post pictures to let us know how it came out. :jedai:

:yeahthat: except I never was able to get the pickled fur pinned and stretched without ripping the fur. If I actually feel I need to flesh a hide then I'll put it on a flat surface and take a butter knife to the parts I want fleshed. I just gently scratch downwards. I don't have a place I start, it is really just however I lay the pelt down.

It should probably be said that I don't use the alum method but I would think the fleshing part would be about the same no matter what method you use.

lizardboy101":hrnyfbg4 said:
How exactly do I flesh after first alum solution mix and how do I know when it's done? Also where at on the pelt do you make the slice (instructions say rum to shoulder but that does t seem right. Also does anyone tan with the tail and head still attached. I want to tan a bucks hide just to keep as a moment(he was my first champagne) so I want the head and tail still attached

I have tanned with the tail but not the head. Usually if the pelt is ready and you can find a spot, it just pulls right off.

When you mean slice,you mean cutting the pelt off the body?

I 'just pulled the tail' and the thin skin of the tail just ripped and I lost the whole tail. Not worth pulling if you want to save him! I'd try cutting out as much bone and then using a narrow scrapper to carefully peel it off.
As to not needing skinning, I'm totally on that boat now. People who say they need to be fleshed are a bit confused. After the soak, wet or dry you peel the left overs and leave it at that. Any more and it just tears pin holes all over.
I cut from bum straight center to neck.

Well, sometimes if I have time, I split the arms and legs up one side and peel around. If I'm impatient, then I cut all the way around the top of the legs, past the tail, and pull the whole pelt off, cased, when I get to the head, I cut round the neck and cut the tips of the feet off, and it pulls right off.

I leave the arm holes alone. Doesn't seem to take away from the pelt at all.

Back