Managing people's demands ..... how do you do it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Recent "requests/demands"....

1. I want thus and such bunny.... I want a discount.
2. I have the discount, I require that you meet me at thus and such location....
3. I can't do 3 pm., I'm only available at 530, meet me "specified location".
4. WHAT????? Pay a delivery Charge??? Even if you bring bunny right to my door???
5. I want pellets, bedding and hay... but I don't want to pay for them. Shouldn't you just give them to me?

Don't misunderstand...

I have NO problem if people are polite and make requests. I've given discounts, bedding and hay to people. NO issues.

I dislike when it is a blunt statement/demand or a "I've gotten this now I'm going to demand this..." (as in the case of a person who'd DYING to get a polish, asked for (politely) and received a $5 discount on a buck. Then proceeded to DEMAND that I meet them more than 1/2 hr out of way in the middle of day when I'm at a conference. Explanations as to why I could not meet that demand were met with...well do you want to sell me that rabbit or not?

I said...I'd love to sell you a bunny BUT I cannot meet you at that time NOR in that location. I am available at thus and such time in thus and such location. I haven't heard from them since.

I just wonder sometimes how other people deal with such things...

I feel your pain.
I use to be flexible too and try and be easy to work with but they just wanted more and more..
now I tell people that I can meet only on such and such days and only after the earliest I want to meet them.

Having been in service industry businesses for better than 25 years, I've learned a few things about interacting with people, and the horrific attitudes that come out from time to time.
First, you can't please everyone.
Second, some people love the sound of their own voice.
Third, dealing with cards ( kind way of saying jerks) is part of doing business.
Cards are people who want everything yesterday, and for free.
I deal with them gently, but firmly, within very clear and specific parameters, and i never let them have the upper hand. When they raise their voice, i speak firmly, with a deeper tone and strong conviction in my voice.
The more obnoxious they get, the calmer i become.
On occasion i have informed people that i cannot help them, and suggest they contact a competitor.
I take guff from nobody, i answer to three people in my life- my woman, my momma, and my God.
Everyone and everything else comes second.
My job is to serve. There's nothing that says i have to serve the unservable.
My time is money. They wouldn't work for free, so why should i?
I know the value of my products and services, and i know what every minute of my working time costs.
If someone wants a deal or something put of the ordinary, that's fine. They pay for it, or get some skin in the game, or pound sand.
Your rabbits are the same basis.
Your rabbits cost money to raise, house, feed, water, and otherwise care for.
You deserve a fair return on your investment of time and money and the experience you have between your ears.
If someone wanted a discount from me, I'd say that the first rabbit is this price, second isx dollars off, and so forth.
Want delivery? Sure. Within five miles is free, after that, a dollar a mile.
If someone bought more than 3 rabbits, or was an extraordinary customer, i might do it for free as a thank you for their business.
A one shot wonder asking for the moon?
Nope. Not a chance.
My time is more valuable to me than that.

well do you want to sell me that rabbit or not?

Uh well no not to you jacka@@. My rabbits deserve better than you.
I do not deal with people like this anymore.
I will go out of my way to work with some one who is polite, but I do not deal with Donkeys.

Sorry to hear you had to deal with a jerk like this.

azbowhunter":90xmwlvl said:
Having been in service industry businesses for better than 25 years, I've learned a few things about interacting with people, and the horrific attitudes that come out from time to time.
First, you can't please everyone.
Second, some people love the sound of their own voice.
Third, dealing with cards ( kind way of saying jerks) is part of doing business.
Cards are people who want everything yesterday, and for free.
I deal with them gently, but firmly, within very clear and specific parameters, and i never let them have the upper hand. When they raise their voice, i speak firmly, with a deeper tone and strong conviction in my voice.
The more obnoxious they get, the calmer i become.
On occasion i have informed people that i cannot help them, and suggest they contact a competitor.
I take guff from nobody, i answer to three people in my life- my woman, my momma, and my God.
Everyone and everything else comes second.
My job is to serve. There's nothing that says i have to serve the unservable.
My time is money. They wouldn't work for free, so why should i?
I know the value of my products and services, and i know what every minute of my working time costs.
If someone wants a deal or something put of the ordinary, that's fine. They pay for it, or get some skin in the game, or pound sand.
Your rabbits are the same basis.
Your rabbits cost money to raise, house, feed, water, and otherwise care for.
You deserve a fair return on your investment of time and money and the experience you have between your ears.
If someone wanted a discount from me, I'd say that the first rabbit is this price, second isx dollars off, and so forth.
Want delivery? Sure. Within five miles is free, after that, a dollar a mile.
If someone bought more than 3 rabbits, or was an extraordinary customer, i might do it for free as a thank you for their business.
A one shot wonder asking for the moon?
Nope. Not a chance.
My time is more valuable to me than that.

I seriously want to put that on my website--minus the wife thing.

great thread, I think this is important because like any industry you have to stand out because of your customer service, with so many competitors good rabbits or any product only get you so far, but how far do you go to provide service without getting steam rolled by some of these jerks out there.

Had a busy morning Sunday and I was late getting my lunch ready. Just kicked back in my recliner to eat and hopefully take a short nap. I look out the window and see a car pull into the drive.... :evil: :evil:

I have to set my food aside, slip my shoes back on, and go see what they want.

"You the rabbit....guy? We'd like to look at the rabbits, okay?"

Now.....I'm usually a half-way decent fella. But, I hate having my lunch disturbed by un-announced, un-invited strangers that show up!!

"I've just sat down to eat. It's one-o'clock now. I'll be more than happy to show you the rabbits after 3 o'clock." He stood there a moment and began to say something about not having the time.

"Okay.......sorry." I went in to eat my lunch. I could give a flip less. They didn't seem very concerned about my lunch getting cold.

I got my nap......too. :)

Grumpy.

People tend too assume that because i have a website that im a buisness.im not.i have a small rabbitry.I often have two people wanting the same rabbit.I sell most of my bunnies too 4H kids.people these days think i should drop everything and sell them a bunny.i dont reserve babies because i might be keeping them too show.

I try too work with people but i have limits.i get more people lately wanting too just pop in at a monments notice.this isnt Petco.it is not my buissness.im selling way less pets.i prefer too just sell at shows.

i keep having to explain to people that they can't come first thing in the morning, or mid afternoon. I have a full time job.

How I manage unreasonable people depends on their method of approach...

ugly phone call? "You must have the wrong number, I'm sorry." (click)

ugly email? (delete)

unknown and unexpected car up my long private driveway? gets met with me, my dogs and a firearm.

On the other hand, I go out of my way for folks who are polite and kind. "I know you work with my hubby and have thrown him some side work. I would be glad to raise some chicks up for you until they're ready to go outside." "We grew a ton of tomato plants this year- have some." "I canned way too many jalapeno peppers this year- want a jar?" "Come and get a dozen eggs whenever you like."

I don't deal with ugliness. There is too much of it in the world these days. I don't want it in mine.

I don't deal with ugliness. There is too much of it in the world these days. I don't want it in mine.
:yeahthat:

Obviously it has worked for them in the past or they wouldn't be so demanding in the first place, the problem is that if you try to cater to these people they continue their rude ways.

I don't offer discounts
I don't deliver
I don't reserve rabbits without a 20% non-refundable deposit (unless the rabbit gets injured, sick or dies before pick up)
I tell them that if they are going to be more than 30 minutes late (or early) or need to cancel then to please call and if they are a no show or show up at my door unexpectedly they are sent away.
I do send them home with leaf of hay and a weeks worth of pellets to help them gradually switch to their brand, as well as a care sheet.
I offer no guarantees once they leave my property but will always take a rabbit back, but there is no refund.

Grumpy, they would have met me with my dogs and shotgun
Had a busy morning Sunday and I was late getting my lunch ready. Just kicked back in my recliner to eat and hopefully take a short nap. I look out the window and see a car pull into the drive....

I have to set my food aside, slip my shoes back on, and go see what they want.

"You the rabbit....guy? We'd like to look at the rabbits, okay?"

Now.....I'm usually a half-way decent fella. But, I hate having my lunch disturbed by un-announced, un-invited strangers that show up!!

"I've just sat down to eat. It's one-o'clock now. I'll be more than happy to show you the rabbits after 3 o'clock." He stood there a moment and began to say something about not having the time.

"Okay.......sorry." I went in to eat my lunch. I could give a flip less. They didn't seem very concerned about my lunch getting cold.
And I would have cursed Google maps and asked them who the hell gave them directions
impolitely said that I have no clue who the hell this guy is but, you are looking for (some other ending for your street, road avenue etc...)
on the OTHERSIDE of the county, this ain't it....

Jack":plyc4iaq said:
And I would have cursed Google maps and asked them who the hell gave them directions
impolitely said that I have no clue who the hell this guy is but, you are looking for (some other ending for your street, road avenue etc...)
on the OTHERSIDE of the county, this ain't it....

Awesome !! Must try to remember this response !!

ladysown":2nbwmfky said:
Recent "requests/demands"....

1. I want thus and such bunny.... I want a discount.
No and now you don't get the bunny.
2. I have the discount, I require that you meet me at thus and such location....
No, you want the bunny; you need to meet where it's convenient for me.
3. I can't do 3 pm., I'm only available at 530, meet me "specified location".
No.
4. WHAT????? Pay a delivery Charge??? Even if you bring bunny right to my door???
Yes, do you want the rabbit or not?
5. I want pellets, bedding and hay... but I don't want to pay for them. Shouldn't you just give them to me?
No, go to the store and see if they will give them to you for free. If they do let me know.

I know these sound sarcastic or just plain mean but that is exactly what I say. I already have enough people making demands of me of which I can't do much about, I don't need and will not tolerate impolite people who want something of me to make demands of me or unreasonable requests. They want a good rabbit that's mine. I don't need anything of them. When I want something from someone I don't demand it but I ask politely. If that doesn't work then apparently I wasn't meant to have it but I definitely don't demand something from someone trying to do something nice.

It should probably be noted I'm not a people person and don't really sell rabbits anymore.

mystang89":1q0ldcht said:
They want a good rabbit that's mine. I don't need anything of them.

Exactly. I don't have to sell a rabbit- there is always space in the freezer! :dinner:

mystang89":1q0ldcht said:
It should probably be noted I'm not a people person and don't really sell rabbits anymore.

I think you are quite the people person! :D You just don't tolerate people trying to take advantage of you.

People are amazingly stupid, selfish, and have this AWFUL sense of entitlement these days!! 4 weeks ago, I drove 5 hours there and 5 hours back to buy and bring my rabbits home with me. I didn't ask for pellets, hay, or nothing! The breeders were kind enough to provide me with two boxes to put the extra 2 rabbits in, and I drove them home with me. I wouldn't even think of asking them to bring the rabbits to me or cause them any distress or get something for nothing. SMH!!!

Back