pricing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Just thinking ahead....what would be a fair price to expect someone to pay for a ready to butcher fryer? I'm thinking $10 is a good round number...but that would be $3.30 a lb (assuming 3.25lbs of meat) and they have to do the butchering...hmm. $7.50?

I figured $20 for breeding rabbits?(older, ready to breed)

I'm horrible at pricing things. And a pushover. :oops:

depends on your local market.

I charge $2 lb
For a proven breeding doe/buck it's more than that.
But for culls...whether fryer or roaster $2/lb live weight.

I occasionally sell fryers at $10 each. I don't go looking for sales because really at that price I'd just as soon have them for our own use. I'm seriously thinking of raising the price to $12 or even $15 dollars. The price of feed has gone up significantly. The fryers dress out between 2.5 and 3 pounds. If I were buying naturally-raised meat of similar quality, I'd be paying a lot more than $4 a pound for it, so I figure they are getting a bargain.

Ann, don't let customers hand you the line that they can get it cheaper elsewhere. People will always tell you that. I just smile and say: "What a bargain. You should buy them there." No rabbit leaves here for less than $10 - unless it is a gift.

A Meat Market that's not too very far from us has Rabbit meat for sale sometimes. They get it from a big commercial place(I asked once) & they sell it for $4.99 a pound.

I just sold 7 to a couple guy's I know pretty well for $7.00 a peice, butchered, cut up & frozen. Probly could have got a little more but I don't usually sell them either. Oh & they weighed between 2 1/2 to 3 pounds each.

I think $10 is very reasonable. You must factor in what it costs you to raise these rabbits to fryer age. If you can raise them for $7.50, sell them for that. I can't see meeting someone, taking the time to tell them about my rabbits, plus the cost of feeding and raising the rabbits for less than $10. $12-$15 would be more reasonable.

precisely :) that's why I set my price at $2/lb live weight.
I'd rather fill my freezer and if people want a dressed rabbit, and aren't willing to pay me $4/lb dressed, then they can spend their gas and buy it at the farmer's market for $4.99-6.99/lb there :) and have it be I don't know how old. Mine...they get fresh! :)

not here, it isn't. I live in a fairly upscale area (Madison is the capitol of the state, and very into FOOD) but Rabbit at $10 a lb won't fly here. Maybe if I cooked it in wine..... ;)

I CAN sell to the chefs in town. Our laws on rabbits are pretty loose. I have to process chickens at a USDA processor to sell to a chef..but not rabbit. might be something to look into once things get going. Although, I'm a bit happier selling to local folks like I do the chickens.

Back