Finally! A heater!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse L

Reaction score
After the 4 years I have had my rabbits and my barn I have never had a heater. I have always had to put up with freezing temperatures, frozen water, frozen waste and all that fun stuff. This year i am trying a heater :) Picked it up at canadian tier and im going to try it out. Its a small heater, hoping that all it does is keep temperatures above freezing, that is all i want! Anything above that is just a bonus!

So, i thought i would just say YAY! :D

Keeping anything but a fully insulated and closed up building above freezing around here would leave you broke no matter what you used. I have put protected space heaters under the chicken roosts before thought. The heat rises up and makes it a little easier when it gets well below 0. I'm crossing my fingers against any -30F weather this year.

akane":2alo3pch said:
Keeping anything but a fully insulated and closed up building above freezing around here would leave you broke no matter what you used. I have put protected space heaters under the chicken roosts before thought. The heat rises up and makes it a little easier when it gets well below 0. I'm crossing my fingers against any -30F weather this year.

I just gave my dad a heat lamp for his shed. It's one of those plastic sheds you get from the Depot.. Anyhoodles He put a 100w bulb in it and directed it towards the rabbits.. And it kept the inside of the temp up enough to keep the water from freezing so far this year.. Coldest night has been in mid twenties so we'll see ... :)

Our coldest nights last year I pointed a 250w poultry heat lamp at a 2 gallon heated bucket and still got some ice.

Just a quick comparison for Ontario space heater costs:

A portable 1500W personal heater ($69.99 at CT) running 24/7 would cost about $90/month.

A larger 4800W garage heater (also $69.99 at CT) running 24/7 would cost about $280/month.

Hopefully you (or your parents) are prepared for the jump in the hydro bill :D

Be sure to keep that heater vacuumed off regularly. Hair on a heater can catch fire really easily! :cry:

Latest posts

Back