Picking up my rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
I recently got a 5 month old Holland Lop. His name is Aubie. I am a first time rabbit owner, and I am planning on showing him as my FFA & SAE project. He can be so sweet! He loves being pet, and he hops up in my lap and nudges me all the time. But I have a problem when it comes to picking him up. I work with him everyday, but he's not improving. I've had him for almost a month now, and he is still just as scared as he was the day I brought him home. I have read over & over again about how rabbits are prey animals so they don't like being picked up, and I have read articles & watched videos on the proper way to hold them & pick them up, by placing one hand behind their front legs and the other supporting their bottom, then holding them close to your body so they feel safe. But I can't pull him into my body before he freaks out and kicks, bites, or jumps away. :shock: I'm really afraid that he is going to hurt himself one of these times. I could really use some advice, because everything I have seen shows a calm rabbit sitting there letting someone demonstrate with them, but my rabbit won't dare let me get farther than placing my hand under his chest.

start with a towel. Drop a towel over him. Keeps him calmer as his head will be covered.
Gives you something to wrap around him hopefully quickly so he can't hurt himself.
Reward him when he is calm.

I think what's happening is you are reaching underneath him which gives him time to jump away. I'd try the towel method. If that does not work for you try putting a hand gently but firmly on his neck/shoulders to hold him down and steady. Then reach your other hand between his feet from behind so the length of his body is on that forearm, palm under his chest and lift him directly to your body with all his weight on your arm. Once he's up you can cover the side of him that's away from your chest with the arm/hand that was holding his shoulders and sort of lean your chin over him for more security. It sounds harder than it is.

I always lift by the scruff and support the behind by curving the hind feet toward the head. Then keeping my hand under the behind, I tuck the head of the rabbit into the crook of my elbow or armpit. It looks like I am carrying a football, with one forearm under and one resting over the rabbit's back and shoulders.

If they are nervous they like to hide their faces. Most of my rabbits eventually calm down and start poking their noses out to look around after a while. Eventually they will sit up and look over my shoulder like a child.

The hard part is picking up and putting down, and the only reliable method I have found is a firm grip on the scruff, no matter what they do they can't leap away. I don't think they like dangling feet, even the calm ones will squiggle sometimes.

My first two were very skittish at first. We started off by just offering our hand for them to sniff, and gradually worked from there to petting and finally picking them up and holding them.

Think like the Dog Whisperer,
when you do anything with/for your rabbit be confident.
All animals can pick up on your fears or insecurities.
You are the ALPHA! I am left handed so I use my right hand as the control hand.
You cup the ears and grab the scruff with the control hand,
then scoop up the rump with the other hand. You can then tuck the hindquarters/rump
up under your right arm. Never releasing the control hand which is on the scruff.
You are holding the rabbits body between your body and arm under your shoulder.
At this point you can now use your left hand to check the rabbits teeth, nails etc.
To be able to do a complete check of your rabbit rest its rump on a table,
still holding with control hand. You can check the belly straightness of tail etc.
Another option, used to carry the rabbit to the table etc.
The football carry where you tuck the rabbits head under your Left shoulder
supporting rump with your right hand. You still retain the control hold
when the rabbit feels secure you will sense its comfort he/she will not be fighting.
Rabbits are fearful of being caught/ falling etc. Sort of like a Giant dangling you over a cliff!
Would YOU not be frightened? After your rabbit get to know and trust you
life with them gets so much easier. Practice picking up your rabbit everyday
short trips from the cage to the grooming table and in a few days you will
both become more relaxed with each other.
I hope this helps, it's much easier to show someone than to describe it.
Ottersatin.

Having the same problem, my rabbit wont let me pick her up as well. Ive only managed to do it 3 times...but twice was changing cages and third was getting her out of the box back from the vet. Other than that no luck. Putting a towel on her doesn't calm her, she panics and escapes :( need to clean her eyyyyes but she wont leeet me >__>

I found that scruffing while supporting the hindquarters is working fairly well. It takes a few tries but I eventually get him.

equestrian<3":3ce6py52 said:
I found that scruffing while supporting the hindquarters is working fairly well. It takes a few tries but I eventually get him.

Wouldnt holding them by the scruff be painful for them?? Maybe you can post a video :)

not if you support them. :) You scruff, you move them over to your arm and tuck their head in. Calm bunny.

you'll get the hang of it Cav.

Latest posts

Back