What Is He Doing?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
So... Snow's been doing this really weird thing, that I'm going to try to describe and probably fail horribly at. I haven't had a chance to get it on video. ALMOST today, but he stopped when he heard the camera turn on.

Basically... it looks like he's humping the air. He sits back on his butt, and makes these tiny little humping motions for a few moments, with short breaks in between. Then his back will arch, sometimes he'll grunt(not all the time), and then go back to sitting normally.

Poops look fine, he's eating and drinking normally, no discharge where there shouldn't be any discharge.

My two thoughts are he's either masturbating, or he's trying to poop. It looks much more like he's masturbating than trying to poop though. I have checked to see if he's finished on himself, but have not seen any evidence of that.

Hopefully I can get it on video soon, and maybe you guys can help me figure out what he's doing!

That description sounds like the butt-scooting of dogs...worms maybe? No ideas otherwise.

I've seen them do kinda what it sounds like you are describing, but when eating night feces.

video would be interesting to see what he is doing

I finally managed to sneak up on him while he was doing it, pulled him out and he had his penis out.

Yeah, he's like 2yrs old though, lol.

I was really worried for a while that there was something wrong with him, this was the first time I got close enough to grab him before he put his parts away. Guess the smell of the ladies is too much for him ;)

I do AI for a local ranch that breeds donkeys and mules. One of the mammoth Jacks regularly "cleans himself out".

We know because even when he hasn't been "collected" for a while, his penis is clean and free of dead skin, and he has very few dead sperm in his ejaculate.

I'd say Snow takes his job as a herd buck very seriously, and is just "keeping his pump primed", so he can do the best job possible when the time comes! :lol:

Try having a flemish giant that would start humping the second you picked him up :roll:

MamaSheepdog":21ug9frk said:
I'd say Snow takes his job as a herd buck very seriously, and is just "keeping his pump primed", so he can do the best job possible when the time comes! :lol:

See, that's really weird, because the woman who gave him to me couldn't get him to breed. She was very surprised that I had a successful litter by him, when I told her about Hannah's 8, and the trick he pulled breeding her through the cage. Mind you, I didn't know that she hadn't been able to get a litter by him until I was telling her about Hannah, otherwise I'd have probably left him there.

Oh well, the little booger's still on the sales block, either as pet or breeder.

I believe that rabbits develop infatuations ... I have a buck that will breed anything, but given the choice, he will spend all his time laying next to the cage holding my REW EA doe. He truely seems to be in love with her!

I have another doe that so far has refused to breed with my SF buck ... she has shown "ready" each time I put her in there, he has actually fallen off several times, but she has not taken. She does, however, flirt with my EA buck, so I will probably try her with him just to get her jump started on breeding if she didn't take this last time with the SF.

AnnClaire":2k2et4ef said:
I believe that rabbits develop infatuations ... I have a buck that will breed anything, but given the choice, he will spend all his time laying next to the cage holding my REW EA doe. He truely seems to be in love with her!

I have another doe that so far has refused to breed with my SF buck ... she has shown "ready" each time I put her in there, he has actually fallen off several times, but she has not taken. She does, however, flirt with my EA buck, so I will probably try her with him just to get her jump started on breeding if she didn't take this last time with the SF.

I have a little doe that is the same way. she plants her tail with every buck but one...and that buck loves her to bits and prefers to be near her...Breed him to two differ does and he even seems more protective over the kits from his fav doe. I ended up keeping them in cages where they can always see each other because the doe got depressed when I separated them for a short while.

As for the behavior of Snow...well my buck coal does the same thing at times. He is about the same age but wasn't bred until recently. He started doing it after he was put near the girls, the place I got him from he was the only rabbit. (he was a pet but the family moved out of state and they didn't want to risk his health with the stress of moving)

Latest posts

Back