So I Traumatized Her....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Maple, my NZ doe (broken gold tipped, I think, she was my "broken black", but changed colors) anywyas, she got out. I caught her by exploiting my new trick of hand feeding her greens, but it took a LONG time since I havent been taking the time to keep her sweet, and she doesnt seem to naturally like me, like Spooky.

Well, when I pinned her, she SQUEALED and SQUEALED and then froze solid. I panicked, but I only had two choices. Either I let her go and risk never catching her again (and there are loose dogs and coyotes here) or I hold her anyways and put her in her cage. Since one was certain death, I did the latter. Well, she is currently still alive, but how long does it take for a rabbit to die from fright? Does it happen all at once, or does the effects culminate?

And say if she does live: (which I think she will) how do I reverse the damage I caused? I want to make her tame like Spooky. But then I am moving away from them...I just dont know what I am going to do about this and I feel like crap for making her so scared....

Well, it's unfortunate she was so scared, but you did the only thing you could do under the circumstances. Time and some gentle words and treats should help. Not all rabbits are all that friendly, though, no matter how nicely they are treated.

I'm sure she'll live. Give her lots of treats and always approach her calmly and let her know you're coming before hand.

I have a Mini Rex doe I've been working with, who is afraid of everything, to the point of fear based aggression. I've been giving her treats nightly and it's gotten to the point where she is excited to see me (she stopped being scared of me and attacking within 3 days).

she should be fine.
some bunnies are easily frightened into screaming.
but they seem to settle again given some quiet time to remember they are safe.

She should be fine. I have a little blue mini rex doe who screamed several times after I first got her. She was very nervous about her new home and then the colony setting where one of my big champagne does hopped up to sniff her. She's realized being held and interacting with the big rabbits does not = death and now she's a happy little bunny. As long as demon rabbit stays penned up.

I would try continuing to offer her hand-fed greens, talking gently to her, and when she seems ready, touching and later petting her.

yup she'll be fine - some rabbits are NOISY

one of my young jw screams just to hear herself I swear it :)

Demon rabbit puts out constant noise. She's always grunting, squeaking, and screaming about everything. I seriously think she's insane.

I would not worry so much about what you witnessed.
Rabbits will often faint when frightened, but they
come right around after a few seconds/minutes of relaxation.
I had a Dog [who since passed away] that thought of all the rabbits
in the her as his children. When a rabbit would escape it's cage he would help me catch them.
He [Mickey] never harmed a Hare on any rabbit, he would hold them gently in his mouth and
whimper until I got there to relieve him of his duty. Many of the rabbits would appear to be dead.
Frightening, but once they were set down they would come right around
and give me a look as if to say: What happened, where am I".
None were ever the worse for wear.
Ottersatin.

Thanks guys!@ she seems to be her normal, weird self, and I am hoping I can tame her down...but I am certain she is fine.

Back