Register

So I Traumatized Her....

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,256.00

So I Traumatized Her....

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Shara » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Maple, my NZ doe (broken gold tipped, I think, she was my "broken black", but changed colors) anywyas, she got out. I caught her by exploiting my new trick of hand feeding her greens, but it took a LONG time since I havent been taking the time to keep her sweet, and she doesnt seem to naturally like me, like Spooky.

Well, when I pinned her, she SQUEALED and SQUEALED and then froze solid. I panicked, but I only had two choices. Either I let her go and risk never catching her again (and there are loose dogs and coyotes here) or I hold her anyways and put her in her cage. Since one was certain death, I did the latter. Well, she is currently still alive, but how long does it take for a rabbit to die from fright? Does it happen all at once, or does the effects culminate?

And say if she does live: (which I think she will) how do I reverse the damage I caused? I want to make her tame like Spooky. But then I am moving away from them...I just dont know what I am going to do about this and I feel like crap for making her so scared....
“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”
~Winston Churchill

I Aspire
To be as strong as a man
As beautiful as a woman
As truthful as a child
And as loving as Christ...

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Re: So I Traumatized Her....

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Well, it's unfortunate she was so scared, but you did the only thing you could do under the circumstances. Time and some gentle words and treats should help. Not all rabbits are all that friendly, though, no matter how nicely they are treated.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby DevonW » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm sure she'll live. Give her lots of treats and always approach her calmly and let her know you're coming before hand.

I have a Mini Rex doe I've been working with, who is afraid of everything, to the point of fear based aggression. I've been giving her treats nightly and it's gotten to the point where she is excited to see me (she stopped being scared of me and attacking within 3 days).
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,916.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:24 pm

she should be fine.
some bunnies are easily frightened into screaming.
but they seem to settle again given some quiet time to remember they are safe.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:17 pm

She should be fine. I have a little blue mini rex doe who screamed several times after I first got her. She was very nervous about her new home and then the colony setting where one of my big champagne does hopped up to sniff her. She's realized being held and interacting with the big rabbits does not = death and now she's a happy little bunny. As long as demon rabbit stays penned up.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

BunnyBucks: 9,270.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby trinityoaks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 pm

I would try continuing to offer her hand-fed greens, talking gently to her, and when she seems ready, touching and later petting her.

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Brody » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am

yup she'll be fine - some rabbits are NOISY

one of my young jw screams just to hear herself I swear it :)
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby akane » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Demon rabbit puts out constant noise. She's always grunting, squeaking, and screaming about everything. I seriously think she's insane.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

BunnyBucks: 8,390.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby ottersatin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:10 pm

I would not worry so much about what you witnessed.
Rabbits will often faint when frightened, but they
come right around after a few seconds/minutes of relaxation.
I had a Dog [who since passed away] that thought of all the rabbits
in the her as his children. When a rabbit would escape it's cage he would help me catch them.
He [Mickey] never harmed a Hare on any rabbit, he would hold them gently in his mouth and
whimper until I got there to relieve him of his duty. Many of the rabbits would appear to be dead.
Frightening, but once they were set down they would come right around
and give me a look as if to say: What happened, where am I".
None were ever the worse for wear.
Ottersatin.
Please visit my website: http://crescentvalley.webs.com/
Sign Guest book so I know you stopped by.
Thank you Dennis.

BunnyBucks: 4,256.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Shara » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks guys!@ she seems to be her normal, weird self, and I am hoping I can tame her down...but I am certain she is fine.
“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”
~Winston Churchill

I Aspire
To be as strong as a man
As beautiful as a woman
As truthful as a child
And as loving as Christ...