Brokens

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a broken black buck, and I was wondering if I bred him to my castor if I will get some broken castors out of the litter? How does that work? :help:

Thanks
Rachel

ladysown":1v72n3c1 said:
depends entirely on what's behind your broken black. Quite possibly. :)

The castor doe has all castors in her background and the broken black buck has all broken blacks and solid black in his lines.
Does this help?

Thanks,
Rachel

Breed them,
once the kits grow and become of age. Breed the youngsters back to their sire and Dam.
Each of the kits will carry the genes of each parent. This is the same way it works
with a Black which carries Chocolate. A Black rabbit whose parents were
a Black and a Chocolate will be [Bb] B= Black which is dominant over Chocolate.
When that Black is bred to another Black which carries chocolate or a Chocolate
the kits will either get [Bb] and appear Black, or [bb] they will be Chocolate.
They can only get one color gene from each parent. It's the luck of the draw
but inevitable that you will eventually get what you are seeking.
Ottersatin.

According to my genetics book, a castor rex is what is also known as a chestnut agouti/basic wild type (A_B_C_D_E_) and a black is the same rabbit except that it's a self rather than agouti (aaB_C_D_E_).

So there is a good possibility that some of the kits may be castor. However since both rabbits have primarily dominants expressed (capital letters in the genotype above) they could both be carrying a basketful of different recessives that will combine to give you a variety of colours.

It's much easier to predict the offspring colour when your rabbit is expressing mostly recessives because then you know what both alleles are -- like the black being (aa) rather than (A and unknown).

A castor with only castors in the breeding is unlikely to have an recessive genes. It will probably produce only castors. You would have to breed the kits back to the black parent, to each other, or to another rabbit known to be carrying self. Yes you will probably make castors that don't show well if you mix with black unless your castors are already too light. Self colors do not have this problem and nearly all basic self colors (black, blue, chocolate, lilac) will have show quality color irregardless what they are bred to or have in their background.

I think I have decided not to mess with it. My castors are the perfect coloring and I don't want to mess it up because someone wants to buy A broken castor from me. Thanks for everyones help. :)

Rachel

Unless the castor carries self you will get all castors/broken castors. The amount of /broken to selfs will be random or the luck of the draw. Castor already is a black based colour so black will NOT "darken" castor. Ring definition is based on modifiers and hereditary factors. Castor is present because of the A gene not the B gene. Colour is controlled by the C gene and the Dense/dilute gene (Dd) as well as the Black/brown gene. (Bb)

In other words...breeding your castor to your black will not damage the colour of the castor. :) (sorry Lauren, I had to think for a moment what you wrote).

I know that when I've bred black and castor together I've gotten a mixed bag of kits...mostly black and castor, and one time a blue! (go figure). Recessives can be interesting things to play with.

Back