first step towards commercial rabbitry started.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
I decided to start slowly in starting my commercial rabbitry. I bought some more used cages at a good price. My Mom is very supportive and told me to go for it and sent me money to help get a few more cages. I moved 5 of my NEW Zealand Whites Does to my x' s house into my old milk room. I have 3 Jr does I will move over there today. I plan on getting up to 50 does. I will be calling around some more tomorrow to find a butcher. I can't have a normal job as I have to be able to drop everything if the school calls about my boys with difficulties. I need to do something productive and I love working with animals so at least I will have something positive to fill my time. If I do well and make enough money I will need to look into moving to a better set up but this is a start. I am excited about this so wanted to share.

I will try to get pictures this week on my phone. Not much to show just white rabbits in cages.

This seems like a possibly workable situation for you and I hope it works out. We will help in every way possible, as you know, because that's the kind of folks Rabbit Talk people are!!!! Long live rabbit raisers!!!! (Rabble Rousers?)

Awesome, Demamma!

NZW are the way to go, for profit.

I might suggest looking in to fodder as a food source. It could save you more than 50% on your feed! Larger litters too!

Thank you all for your kind support. I just bought 2 amazing New Zealand white does and a buck. They are huge conmpared to mine of the same age. That brings my New Zealand's up to 9 does and 2 bucks. I also got 3 Cream D'Argents does and 1 buck. Hope to expand to more later and get some Americans. I have a good friend who is growing g fodder for me. He is a bit up the hill from me so I stop by whenever I can and fill up the van. I have been giving the rabbits pellets in the am and fodder in the pm. I give a tuna can size of pellets and start with a handful of fodder. When they are used to it they end up getting as much as my two hands can hold. I am not sure exactly how much to feed. I have been taking the extra fodder and setting it out for hay. I am going to try and talk to some labs about buying rabbits since I am having such hard times with finding a butcher.

I hope this works out well for you. Living in Ca. the state Gov. has to try and have their hands in everything.
one of the reasons I had to close my Locksmith business after 9 years.
Lucky for me I have a person in my local Ag. office who is willing to work with me in reguards to selling rabbit meat.
I guess it helps he is also a customer. LOL

Start tracking expenses. If you don't have a background in agricultural accounting, I would highly suggest a crash coarse. You can probably find an ag management book online used pretty cheap, or free through your library :D . Us college students try to sell them if we can even if the bookstore does not buy them back (it is not being used the next term, sometimes a new edition comes out, changed professors or just the professor changed their mind, it sucks because our $200 books are now worth zilch)

Back