Zakk attack?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdBrook

Reaction score
My young buck, Zakk, is in a growout cage with his brother, Alfred. Alfred looks fine but we keep finding big bunches of fur around the cage and Zakk has a bald spot. The two are always racing around carrying on. Is this from Alfred pulling Zakks fur out do you think or is Zakk possibly doing this to himself? I'm half afraid to cull Alf and find out it's not him doing it and Zakk's a self abuser or unhealthy. Maybe I should keep Alfred and not Zakk? Any ideas as to what you would suspect is going on here? Separating them for a while and seeing if the problem goes away would be best, I know, so I'm working on finding another cage because I'm tapped out right now on room for these guys and had just planned on eating Alf, but now I'm not sure!

232323232%7Ffp5437%3A%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D36359446%3C%3A34%3Anu0mrj

Edited to add...It's just the one spot. The rest of Zakk is spotless, glossy and healthy.

232323232%7Ffp54353%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D363594775234%3Anu0mrj

Can you divide the cage with a wire partition, zip-tied into place? There reaches a point where male rabbits will scuffle and fight and there is not much to be done except separate them. They both look like fine healthy rabbits to me, in spite of Zakk's bald spot.

No reason to cull either. Rabbits fight, split the two up and see if it doesn't stop.

I agree that you should get them separated.

I've had a few bucks in growout pens that without any prior signs such as fur pulling will go after each others testicles. Usually they just get bitten up a bit, but I did have one where the scrotum was torn so badly that the testicle was hanging out. :x I culled the poor guy immediately, although strangely enough he didn't seem distressed. :?

SuburbanHomesteader":3eybaweg said:
I usually seperate bucks after 10 weeks.

Mine are Rex, and they are usually pretty good until 4 months or more... but not always. :(

We always butcher the boys first though, to prevent it from happening again.

i separate bucks when they need it. Can be as early as seven weeks and the longest I've kept them together is nine months, though I suspect that could have gone on indefinitely.

Those two need to be separated.

Thanks everyone...knowing it was likely fighting among the two of them, we did separate them. Alfred's in the fridge right now, with his lovely fawn hide wrapped up and in the freezer till I get enough to tan. Hopefully Zakk will recover quickly and get his hair back. I plan to try breeding Ella one last time if she didn't take this last time and will use Zakk instead of Zeke.

ColdBrook":26k1517r said:
Alfred's in the fridge right now

Grazing in the crisper drawer, perhaps? :lol:

No? Well, that's some "cooling off period" you've implemented there. Remind me to mind my P's and Q's if I ever come visit!

:evil: When I said "NO MORE FIGHTING, BOYS, OR ELSE!" I meant it!

Nah, the litter was bred to be eaten and we were just putting it off for no real reason but to keep buying them food, I guess! He weighed in at 7.25 pounds live weight and was just over four months old. A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do! The girls are sure behaving nicely today!<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:39 pm __________<br /><br />Ooops, I have to apologize. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I forgot this was not posted in the meat rabbit section. I'm sorry.

Back