Pregnant doe not eating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Reaction score
Well she eats just not that much. She is at day 27 and She built her nest a week ago. She is only eating about 2.5 to 3 oz of her pellets or maybe even a little less (She's on purina 16%) The other rabbits are eating. She also eats an Alfafa/timothy/prarie hay mix. She is eating that, just not as much. She could care less about her greens as well although I did get some fresh parsley into her hoping to gain some appitite. She also has ACV in her water.... She is a Californian. I think she still feels in good condition but I am starting worry about her.

This is my first time breeding this doe although I was told she has had litters before. I am now used to Hanna my pig bunny. Who is a great mom and eats like a....PIG.

Leanne,
that just may be your rabbits way of handling the situation.
As long as you have edible food and drinking water available
there should be no problem. Is the Doe retaining condition?
Not overly fat nor skinny? If the answer is yes I would not worry.
Some rabbits go off feed before kindling. She may not feel like eating
due to the amount of space the forming kits are taking up.
I would not sweat the small stuff as long as your rabbit is maintaining.
Ottersatin

I agree with Ottersatin. As long as she is eating and drinking some (and her poops are normal) I would not worry too much. She may have a big batch of buns in her little oven and she may be planning to kindle on the early side. A lot of does go off feed a few days before kindling. You might want to give her the nest box a tad early.

Thank you both. I'm trying not to be a worry wort but I sometimes find that hard to do. She has had her nest box for almost a week now as she was driving me crazy with her nest building and hay waste. She made it right up and has been overly calm ever since.

Now if only I could find MY overly calm place.LOL One way or another we should have kits by Tuesday if (day 33) I'm leaning towards Sunday night but I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

In this past week I have had two does kindle their litters ... one a litter of 10 and another of 8 ... all alive and doing well. In my brief experience with my four does, all four seem to not want to eat much at all several days before kindling their litters ... and I have not had a problem at all thus far (and here is to hoping that I never will have a problem.) Hope all goes well.

Back