Register

where did you get your worms

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35.00

where did you get your worms

Post Number:#1  Unread postby jessicarabbit » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions where to buy red wiglers from?

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,490.00

Re: where did you get your worms

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Craigs list, or Kijiji if your in Canada, just put up a wanted ad you only need a scoop full to get started.

You could also harvest wild ones from a farm.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 21,399.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 pm

there are quite a few on-line sources of redworms for composting purposes-- generally, the cost is about 30 dollars for a pound of the buggers--

the species of worms one would dig up are not happy if placed in 'confinement' They also do not find close quarters with other worms to be beneficial unless they are getting ready to overwinter or breed. But, that does not mean they cannot explode their population numbers under some rabbit cages... You can pick the retgular earthworms a lot easir by placing cardboard sheets on the ground in the evening, then in the morning, pick it up, and be real quick snatching up your prey!!
Terry
Help keep two Medical Service Dogs in top health: gofundme.com/1yvfgk

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,400.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Lizardslaps » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 pm

you only really need 1lb of worms you very quickly wont need more again but If you can find them cheaper on craigslist do

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby jessicarabbit » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm

I tried regular ea rthworms last year and they worked great for me. I was just wanting to try the reds cuz they multiply fast...right?
Dood, so could I find red wiglers in my manure or compost piles ? From what I read they are hard to find urself....but that's what I would much prefer to do if possible.
Thanks for replying guys :)

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 21,399.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm

red wrigglers are often sold as fishing worms in bait shops-- They do not survive cold weather very well, so contained beds need to be deep and freeze proof if one lives up north...
Terry
Help keep two Medical Service Dogs in top health: gofundme.com/1yvfgk

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 32,490.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Dood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 pm

My farm is covered in red wigglers (Eisenia fetida) and I am in Southern Ontario. They certainly out number the big 8 inch dew worms (Lumbricus terrestris)around here. They are the only worms that can live in pure chicken manure and the hens love it when the pen is dug out in the fall to spread around the pasture and it becomes a chicken feeding frenzy!

I dont like them for fishing as they are too difficult to get on a hook but a tackle shop would be a good place to look as they are probably farmed and not wild ones and will do better in captivity if you plan to keep them in a rubbermaid rather than free range.

Google some pictures of them, they are rather unique looking. They have a purple irridescent glow, mine dont have the distinct white bands that some do but it could just be the Canadian variety, and they dont dig too deep into the soil they need alot of air flow, if you put a board over the manure or compost they will likely live right under it making it easy to pick them out.

Post Number:#8  Unread postby jessicarabbit » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 am

Awsome info thank you ill check out both bait shops and around my place.