where did you get your worms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craigs list, or Kijiji if your in Canada, just put up a wanted ad you only need a scoop full to get started.

You could also harvest wild ones from a farm.

there are quite a few on-line sources of redworms for composting purposes-- generally, the cost is about 30 dollars for a pound of the buggers--

the species of worms one would dig up are not happy if placed in 'confinement' They also do not find close quarters with other worms to be beneficial unless they are getting ready to overwinter or breed. But, that does not mean they cannot explode their population numbers under some rabbit cages... You can pick the retgular earthworms a lot easir by placing cardboard sheets on the ground in the evening, then in the morning, pick it up, and be real quick snatching up your prey!!

I tried regular ea rthworms last year and they worked great for me. I was just wanting to try the reds cuz they multiply fast...right?
Dood, so could I find red wiglers in my manure or compost piles ? From what I read they are hard to find urself....but that's what I would much prefer to do if possible.
Thanks for replying guys :)

red wrigglers are often sold as fishing worms in bait shops-- They do not survive cold weather very well, so contained beds need to be deep and freeze proof if one lives up north...

My farm is covered in red wigglers (Eisenia fetida) and I am in Southern Ontario. They certainly out number the big 8 inch dew worms (Lumbricus terrestris)around here. They are the only worms that can live in pure chicken manure and the hens love it when the pen is dug out in the fall to spread around the pasture and it becomes a chicken feeding frenzy!

I dont like them for fishing as they are too difficult to get on a hook but a tackle shop would be a good place to look as they are probably farmed and not wild ones and will do better in captivity if you plan to keep them in a rubbermaid rather than free range.

Google some pictures of them, they are rather unique looking. They have a purple irridescent glow, mine dont have the distinct white bands that some do but it could just be the Canadian variety, and they dont dig too deep into the soil they need alot of air flow, if you put a board over the manure or compost they will likely live right under it making it easy to pick them out.

Latest posts

Back