Register

Small Cage-Making Business, Possible?

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,575.00

Re: Small Cage-Making Business, Possible?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:If you make cages in advance of orders, leave the doors off so the buyer has a choice of door styles to choose from; up and in, drop down, or side opening.

YES, THIS. So much this. I hate half of my cage's doors because they came that way and I don't care enough to bother changing them, but...had they come with the doors off, I'd have been a lot happier.

Then again I bought my cage blocks used so...yeah. But still. If I bought new cages, I'd want to choose how to set up the door.
Wintertime Rabbitry: Zwergschecken/Dwarf Papillons
Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the Western Michigan Rabbit Breeders Association, the Forest City Rabbit Breeders Club, and the Michigan State Rabbit Breeders Association.

https://klawrence5995.wixsite.com/wintertime

Formerly Kyle@theHeathertoft

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Marinea » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I say go for it! Don't forget the option of baby saver wire!

A random thought...come up with an awesome hay feed rack. One that I can add to the outside of my cages. I would pay good money for that. And it adds another item to your list.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,565.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby GBov » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Marinea wrote:I say go for it! Don't forget the option of baby saver wire!

A random thought...come up with an awesome hay feed rack. One that I can add to the outside of my cages. I would pay good money for that. And it adds another item to your list.

I have hay racks inside some of my cages and two outside of a couple more. Even though I have to open each door to put hay in, it gives me time with each rabbit and they eat much more hay from the inside racks instead of the ones they have to pull hay through inch square wire.

BunnyBucks: 1,091.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Fire-Man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:38 pm

bigbrologan wrote: I recently found out that we have a reciprocating saw, so I will use that to cut the wire, which will save massive amounts of times.

As already stated using that saw can led to problems. Get you one of these tools----I been using them for years to cut my wire. (and anything else I need cut)

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-s ... 68199.html

Mine is a different name/brand and cost more then these, but looks like this.

These will cut the wire where there is no sharp pieces like you get with diagional cutters.
Last edited by Fire-Man on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:38 pm

GBov wrote:Get you one of these tools----I been using them for years to cut my wire. (and anything else I need cut)

WANT!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 8,226.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Frecs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 pm

MINE!

Daddy...I want it, and I want it NOW!!!
Tina
Not Quite There Yet Homestead & Rabbitry
http://notquitethereyethomestead.blogspot.com/

BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Frecs wrote:Daddy...I want it, and I want it NOW!!!

Now, now Veruca... MSD called it first!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 1,091.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Fire-Man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:
GBov wrote:Get you one of these tools----I been using them for years to cut my wire. (and anything else I need cut)

WANT!

Slow Down----LOL. Someone better go get a pair of these and let everyone know if they work good. Mine came from Northern Tools for about $90 and they work GREAT. LOL

There is a trick to using them to cut so smooth you barely need door guards.

Edited to add, these things cut cage wire so fast you will have to "Hold" yourself back so you do not get carried away---LOL

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,430.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Jack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Nibbers, they make ones that work on heavier metal too
I would question them and look for reviews, as HF is known to sell cheap chinese jumk at cheap chinese junk prices and stuff like that a nylon or zink drive train....
BUT compare that to various 'standby brands' that no longer have US manufaturing and are the same cheap chinese crap at a MUCH higher price point.
Thrianta Breeder extraordinaire,
well not really, but trying damn hard.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tundra-Treasures-Rabbitry/142934279087620

Previous