Small Cage-Making Business, Possible?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
I am currently researching how I would go about starting a cage selling business.

First, let me tell you my plan:

1.) Set up an ad on Craigslist and create a free website listing my
products. I will offer 36x24x18, 30x24x18, 24x24x18, and 18x24x18 GAW 14 gauge cages.
I was thinking that doubling the cost of wire only would give me a decent profit. (This whole step is fairly simplified).

2.) Should their actually be interest from folks on Craigslist or elsewhere, I could continue in two ways:

1.) Order the high quality wire in large quantities from Klubertanz (save on shipping that way), build the cages, and sell them for cash. I recently found out that we have a reciprocating saw, so I will use that to cut the wire, which will save massive amounts of times. Can order j clips along with j clip pliers from Klubertanz as well, along with door guards. Spring latches I will get from the hardware store. Note: I am not looking to produce massive quanities. I figure I can build a cage in less than an hour, so I would do one or two a night.

Or

2.) Create a small business out of it. Get a small business license, reseller's permit, and whatever else necessary. My concern with this route is the probability of inspections or anything like that. I'll be building the cages out of my garage; is that suitable? Also, would a reseller's permit even be applicable here? What about tax deductions? Will I be able to deduct supplies (wire, pliers, j-clips, door guards, etc.)? To be honest, I don't know much about taking this road. The information I'm finding isn't specific enough.

Anyways, I was hoping you guys could help me out here.

I really do appreciate all of the input offered on this board, and I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Thank you,

Logan

P.S. For those of you who don't know, I am 15. I'm pretty my age will create some road blocks, but I am not entirely sure.

P.P.S. I know this isn't a very extensive plan, but I figured I would give you all the simplified version to save you some reading.

I think it would be good to test the waters. I don't know about creating a small business out of it or not, though, but if you're making massive amounts of sales/money, you would probably need to look into claiming the costs. I believe that in Canada, anyway, all business supplies are tax deductable.

I know that if I could find someone offering this service in my location, I would be all over it, since I'm lazy, unknowledgable, and terrified of trying new things.

Good luck :)

Your county economic development office would be the place to ask about inspections and licensing.
Your garage should have enough space for your venture. I would suggest eventually looking into a J clip gun, it's like a nail gun but for J clips (said Ms Obvious :) ) it will save a ton of wear and tear on your hands and speaking as someone who depends on her hands for her livelihood, you do not want a repetitive motion injury.
This is, of course, if your business takes off. I'm certainly not suggesting you buy one right off

You would not need any kind of special inspections for a sole proprietorship (which is what you are describing) and yes working out of your home would be fine. Your income and expenses would be recorded on your personal income taxes. Since your customers are not buying anything that could kill them this would probably be the best bet - easy, simple to set up, no annual fees, etc.

You could also do an LLC there is a small fee but gives you a bit more legal protection if say someone scratched themselves on one of your cages or something like that.

It's a hobby
until you are ready to claim it as a business (making a living or substantial profit...)
most of the business stuff is also allowed for a hobby, don't have to make money
2 things
do you know what the start up costs are (thousands BTW between the tooling and wire etc.)
and how many cages have you made, I can do about 4-6 a day, and let me tell you, I'm not in the best of moods afterwards...
you hand is killing you, you are scraped up, punctured a few times, your corners aren't matching...

Do you really think you have enough of a market to turn a profit, let alone break even
the people willing to pay $1000 for a stack will be few and far between...
most will come in, call it used crap and offer to haul it off for $20, doing you a favor by taking it....<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm __________<br /><br />
I recently found out that we have a reciprocating saw,
Breaks the weld BTW, unless you can lock down both sides, better to get a metal (composite) blade for a circular saw, still not as fast as HD cliper (actually small bolt cutters) AND you get burned.... (and burn off the Galv BTW...)

Jack":hmkvgvmi said:
I recently found out that we have a reciprocating saw,
Breaks the weld BTW, unless you can lock down both sides, better to get a metal (composite) blade for a circular saw, still not as fast as HD cliper (actually small bolt cutters) AND you get burned.... (and burn off the Galv BTW...)

I use a reciprocating saw on the GAW and it hasn't broken the welds. :? However, if the blade is getting dull, it will sometimes bend the wire if it gets bound up unless the wire is sandwiched between boards and clamped (which is more labor intensive). Hubs just bought a grinder though and I am going to try that.

I say go for it bro, start small and see how you do. I went through so many "I wanna make money projects" when i was younger (I am 25 now) and sometimes you won't do so well but as long as you can break even your golden, "your labor" will be chalked up to a learning experience, dealing with people, managing money, supplies. I wouldn't trade some of my memories I have for the world. 2 of my friends and I collected boxes for a week using my pop's wagon then paid him $3.00 in gas money to drive us to the recycling plant in his pickup, we made enough to buy ourselves lunch! man we worked our butts off, but some things just stick with you. I started this rabbit thing when i was 23 and alot of people in my family thought it was a joke, my dad wasn't laughing last week when he saw a customer hand over $80 for a single pet rabbit. Go for it and see how you fare, you can always expand later. good luck.

1-Start small.
2-Stick with bread-n-butter items (cages, waterers, feeders, etc.) which you can reasonably expect to sell in quantities and stay away from the frilly specialty nonsense until you get on your feet.
3-Remind yourself daily that the big name suppliers started off the same way. It's true in most every retail business you can name.

It will take time, but the rewards of doing so are big.

I think this could be a good idea, if you can sell for a reasonable price, and still make money. My only worry may be start up costs, and what you would have to charge for cages because of it. Even if you are just selling them with the rabbits you sell, that could be nice as well. A well made cage is better than the stuff they are selling pet people at pet stores, and less expensive as well.

One should try and fail a hundred times to reach their goal than fail to try just once!

In other words, go for it! :lol:

Cages seem to go well in our local auction but not if lots are put in at once so you might try one or two cages to test the waters there.

Sell breeder set ups, buck cage, two doe cages and a grow out cage. If you can sell them with rabbits as well, win win.

Try an angle grinder for cutting your wire, it might make it faster.

And once you cut all the pieces for your first cage and put it all together, MAKE SURE you make a template! That way you dont have to measure your wire each time.

Be sure to edge band the inner door wire, it not only saves on scratches but it looks really professional.

And you can try a few stealth hutches/coops as well, all dolled up Disney fashion on the outside but nice clean wire on the inside. Many people are not allowed livestock but a pretty decorative "Pet" home is usually allowed. Who knows that meat rabbits or silkie chickens live there?

Try to go to peoples rabbit set ups and get ideas for cage making that you havnt already thought of.

And above all, over engineer your cages! Make them rock solid. That way when people see the carp sold in pet stores or many feed stores they can compare against your product and choose quality instead of cheap.

That is all I can think of right now, good luck.

Too bad you are on the left coast. I need someone to build hutches for me in the worse way and I can't find an industrious young person anywhere...

Wanna come to Myrtle Beach SC for a beach vacation? :mrgreen:

There's a guy here who sells cages and supplies for birds, rabbits, and other small pets. He builds the cages himself. They are REALLY nice, and not much more than the retail cost of the wire. He uses special equipment to straighten the wire. I will hopefully be buying some of his cages soon. OAF already has some.

trinityoaks":2w9o0jfv said:
He uses special equipment to straighten the wire.

If you don't have access to that equipment, make sure that when you build your cages the wire crowns up for the top and bottom, and out for the sides.

J-clip every 2" for a nice tight cage.

If you make cages in advance of orders, leave the doors off so the buyer has a choice of door styles to choose from; up and in, drop down, or side opening.

MamaSheepdog":1qh3ltvu said:
If you make cages in advance of orders, leave the doors off so the buyer has a choice of door styles to choose from; up and in, drop down, or side opening.

YES, THIS. So much this. I hate half of my cage's doors because they came that way and I don't care enough to bother changing them, but...had they come with the doors off, I'd have been a lot happier.

Then again I bought my cage blocks used so...yeah. But still. If I bought new cages, I'd want to choose how to set up the door.

I say go for it! Don't forget the option of baby saver wire!

A random thought...come up with an awesome hay feed rack. One that I can add to the outside of my cages. I would pay good money for that. And it adds another item to your list.

Marinea":8ef0vr72 said:
I say go for it! Don't forget the option of baby saver wire!

A random thought...come up with an awesome hay feed rack. One that I can add to the outside of my cages. I would pay good money for that. And it adds another item to your list.

I have hay racks inside some of my cages and two outside of a couple more. Even though I have to open each door to put hay in, it gives me time with each rabbit and they eat much more hay from the inside racks instead of the ones they have to pull hay through inch square wire.

bigbrologan":3byihw8x said:
I recently found out that we have a reciprocating saw, so I will use that to cut the wire, which will save massive amounts of times.

As already stated using that saw can led to problems. Get you one of these tools----I been using them for years to cut my wire. (and anything else I need cut)

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-s ... 68199.html

Mine is a different name/brand and cost more then these, but looks like this.

These will cut the wire where there is no sharp pieces like you get with diagional cutters.

Back