Can I dry them in the oven?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I found a tannery that will do rabbit pelts for $10 each for 10 or more hides but they need to be fleshed adn dried.

Fleshing is not too hard but the drying might be a tad harder to do in our VERY humid location.

Can I peg the hide to a board adn just put it in a slow oven? 170 degrees F. with the door propped open because that is the lowest my poxy oven goes :roll:

I do rabbit ears like this already for dog treats but I wouldnt want to mess up a hide after taking the time to flesh it properly but I also dont want to pay for lots of salt and then the hide not dry right in the open air.<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm __________<br /><br />And a second question, if I dry the hides nice and flat and hard, can I just take my hand sander and sand off the bits of fat and such like still attached to the hide?

We live in SE TX where the humidity is close to 100% all the time. Mine dried just fine hanging over the shower rod on pant hangers.

Back