REW mini rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanni

Reaction score
I find the REW a bit confusing. I get that they "mask" other colors. My questions are: if you breed them to each other, can you only get more REW? If REW is recessive, then wouldn't they only carry that and be able to only pass on recessive? Does what they are "masking" only count if you breed them to something with color already presenting? If you breed them, could you get kits that present colors that the parents came from?

yanni":16fl5m23 said:
if you breed them to each other, can you only get more REW?
Yes

If REW is recessive, then wouldn't they only carry that and be able to only pass on recessive?
Yes

Does what they are "masking" only count if you breed them to something with color already presenting?
Yes

If you breed them, could you get kits that present colors that the parents came from?
No. See question 1: If you breed rew x rew you only get rew. See question 4: If you breed rew x coloured then the other colours come into play.

:D

REW to REW can only produce more REW. There are colors REW does not completely mask though. There are several genes for the c locus. You don't just have rew or not rew. You could have 1 himalayan gene and 1 rew gene and it will look like a himalayan but if you only have 1 himalayan gene without rew you do not get a himalayan.

In my opinion, REW is a red/ruby eyed WHITE rabbit, or albino, if you prefer. I don't consider himalayan/californian to be a partially masked rew, I call them himalayan (or californian). I think that referring to a pointed rabbit as a partially masked rew is just confusing the issue more. :?

Latest posts

Back