Defying the litter box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a little doeling, about 14 weeks old, the runt of her litter, that I am trying to litter train because she's going to be a pet.

She's just as sweet as sugar, but the one thing she does not do is use the litter box.

I've tried everything I know. I put her in the solid-bottomed cage with some shavings and hay in the bottom, then a box of shavings and water and food and all. I soaked up some bunny urine from the rabbitry and put it in the box of shavings. This has always worked for me before, the few times I've done it, so I didn't think anything of it.

...Until I realized she was keeping her shavings box clean and using it as a bed, and peeing in the floor of the cage.

Take 2: Cleaned the cage thoroughly, and put in fresh shavings and hay in the floor, her bed box with shavings, and an additional box of stall pellets. I soaked up some of her own urine and put it in the shavings box, and put it in the corner where she seemed to pee the most.

So then she had a bed box and a sitting box. Two boxes to jump back and forth to. But she still went in the hay and shavings on the floor, rather than use one of them as a litter box.

Take 3: Again, cleaned the cage thoroughly, strongly Pine-Sol-ing the whole thing, making sure that nothing in there smelled like bunny pee except the litter box. I took a healthy scoop or two of wet shavings and put them on top of the stall pellets, so there was no mistaking where pee was supposed to go. This time, I put nothing on the floor of the cage, figuring that she wouldn't want to pee on the hard floor. I put the box in the corner where she peed the most.

Wrong. No sooner was she back in her fresh cage, than she urinated on the hard floor pan in the corner where the litter box used to be. I dried it up, and used a Clorox wipe on it to take away the smell, but I'm at a loss.

What do I do now?

First, take her on a little trip to view the freezer, and explain what happens to potential pet rabbits if they refuse to be housebroken. :twisted:

Have you tried putting a hay rack adjacent to the litter box?

MamaSheepdog":6etg7tqo said:
First, take her on a little trip to view the freezer, and explain what happens to potential pet rabbits if they refuse to be housebroken. :twisted:

Have you tried putting a hay rack adjacent to the litter box?
:rotfl:

That's what Shay did to Pinto when our first couple of breedings missed after we moved. Seemed to work pretty well! :mrgreen:

No, I hadn't... it's above her bed. I shall move it forthwith! :p

:lol:

I have now moved the hay rack, stirred the wet shavings into the pellets, and laid a little hay on top (remembering that the floor was full of shavings with hay on top).

We'll see. :popcorn:

ChickiesnBunnies":31c3o872 said:
Some rabbits cannot be potty trained.
I had wondered if that might be so. :( I sure hope that's not the case with this one.

Maybe what I need to do is convince her that the litter box is not a litter box, and the rest of the cage is a litter box. Then maybe she'll use the litter box! :thinking:<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm __________<br /><br />Well, after cleaning up two puddles, carefully located directly in front of the litter box, I gave up and put a bed of shavings in there. :roll:

She was getting her feet in it, and that wasn't going to be good for her. I'll talk to the prospective owners about it.

Latest posts

Back