How to....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hello,
I need my juniors tattooed, and they will be going to their first (and my first) show on the 24th. I have been looking into the EZ Tatt, but have also kinda looked at the clamp kits, which do you think would be better for a novice? What is the best way to tattoo a bunny and how do you do it? How hard is it?

Thanks
Rachel

I've seen both, used the clamp only. both are easy enough to use. both take a bit of practice, the clamp has a shorter learning curve I think.

Hello Rachel,
I use the clamp tattooer with a quick release.
I have my tattooer loaded with the numbers/letters
to be used. I have the Ink [I use India ink]
as I feel you get a better longer lasting Tattoo.
I place the rabbit on a table with a rug or some other
traction able material so as to allow stability for the Bunny.
Some clean the ear with alcohol then allow to let dry. [It takes a few seconds]
I place the rabbit infront of me and clamp the ear firmly
you want to almost go through the ear. Before doing this,
practice on a piece of paper, this will allow you to see what the tattoo will look like.
If anything is wrong with the letters or numbers you can change them
before you have placed the wrong tattoo in the wrong Rabbit.
When all is well, I clamp the rabbits ear. The rabbit may squeelor even try to get away,
go with the rabbit so you do not mess the markings. If you double clamp it will create a blurred tattoo.
Don't worry, just do not ink it. The holes will seal up in a few days and you can retattoo the Rabbit.
Once you are satisfied with the clamp, rub the Ink into the area. Be sure to cover the whole area.
Some will wipe the excess ink off, I choose to let it be. The ink will be cleaned off in a short time.
I will touch on this just incase: If the ear should bleed due to hitting a blood vessel,
use direct pressure with a clean towl/napkin. This too shall pass.
It is not a plesant task but one that must be done in an effort to keep track of who is who.
I hope this helped.
Ottersatin

I have watched a couple of videos on youtube, and it seems like the clamp is more painful on the rabbit. I don't know what I want to do, I am afraid that with the clamp they will move their ear or something and then I have to redo it all over again. :( I think it makes me nervous.

Practice practice practice! On paper, or light leather, or material. or banana peel. I'm using an EZtatt now, and find it's fairly easy. I've never used a clamp on a rabbit. have on a pig...but pigs are...big. ;)

I've been told that if you wrap the rabbit in a towel, with just the ear protruding...that first time, it's a lot easier, if that helps at all. Rabbit can't move, like a baby in swaddling clothes.

Ya, I think I will defiantely put on baby orajel before starting. I think what I may do though is just take the 2 rabbits with me that I want to show, and if there isn't anybody there to tattoo then just not show them that day. I don't think I feel confident enough to tattoo either method without at least seeing it done in person first. What do you think?

they will be fine. its easier with two people. one to hold the rabbit down, i like a slick surface. i have a formica countertop in my rabbitry. that way they cant get traction. when i first started tatooing id put them in a milk crate where they cant go anywhere, they usually bury their face inthe corner, you just grab their ear and tatoo them. seems harder than it is.

Back