Fur Pillow for Christmas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyah

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been here. I thought I would drop by, say hello, and tell you about my very first completed rabbit fur project. I actually made this for my daughter last year for Christmas and even though it looks MOST unprofessional, my daughter still cherishes it very much.

I bought the pillow form at Walmart and made a pattern from the brown paper lining from a dog food bag. Even though it didn't turn out exactly the way I had planned, it was certainly a learning experience. :)

:thewave: :thewave:

I agree, it looks awesome!

What colour and breed of rabbit did you use and how old were the buns when you took the hide?

I've been thinking about doing that but was worried about how hot that would be laying your head on it and also worried about all the hair that would end up all over your face. Is this not a problem?

Thanks 3mina, at least if I decide to do another one I have a better idea of how to sew it all together. I am the worst sewer, so that was my biggest challenge.
Dood, the pelts are all standard rex, all from the same litter. The nearest I could tell, they were seal. They were around 5 months old. I usually do the butchering in late December, when the weather is cold. by that time, the pelts are pretty prime.
mystang89, I've not had any problems with shedding at all. But if there is one thing I have learned, its not to butcher a rabbit that IS shedding. They will sometimes continue to "shed" after they have been tanned. And yes, there is no doubt it is very warm. My daughter uses it behind her back when she watches tv, and has told me it feels like a cloud... a very warm cloud lol. But I honestly think she cuddles the thing more than she uses it for a pillow.

lol, that sounds great. I will have to try it out when I get enough and after I've done my blanket. Is there a time when the rabbits don't shed? All my pre-12 week old rabbits seem to do nothing but shed.

mystang89":hn3gxnsn said:
lol, that sounds great. I will have to try it out when I get enough and after I've done my blanket. Is there a time when the rabbits don't shed? All my pre-12 week old rabbits seem to do nothing but shed.

I get very little hair off of my Rexes. I don't even groom them. The JW do nothing but shed.

Good job! If the first pelts I tan work out (first 4 that will not be a matching color) I will probably just snuggle with them. Lol and find someone who can sew to make me a pillow with the others that should match

Back