Destructive behavior help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleana

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a rabbit, Stella, who is about 1-2 years old (she was adopted and so not sure of exact age). Within the last week I have noticed her behavior becoming a bit more destructive. She now tries to chew the carpet up all the time (not just around the edges, but pulls pieces out, and its not a fluffy carpet), and its constant. Additionally, she has started chewing the wires on her cage, even when her cage is open. The cage wires especially are new behavior for her (and I have had her for about 5 months now). She has also taking to chewing some furniture which she never had chewed before, but the carpets and the cage wires are CONSTANT. I thought perhaps this was boredom, but if it is I am failing at countering it -- she has 6 or 7 major toys around the room, all different, has places to hide and jump on to, and spends approx. 10-15 hours per day out of her cage.

This is my first time owning a rabbit, so I am hoping that perhaps some of you with more experience might have light to shed on this situation and offer possible solutions.

Thank you.

Rabbits' teeth keep growing throughout their lives. They need to chew on things to keep them the proper length. Try providing lengths of tree branches for her to chew on. Willow, poplar, apple, pear, sycamore and mulberry are all safe. You will find these and others in our Safe Plants list.
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

This site explains rabbit body language and will help you communicate your displeasure with her behavior in a way she will understand:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Personally, I would put her back into her cage when the destructive behavior begins if she does not respond to your cues for her to stop.

Maybe flip her over and take a look at her teeth? If anything is wonky it might cause her to try and "correct" it with increased chewing as Maggie pointed out. The branches are a good idea. :) As is the site Mamasheepdog linked to.

Back