rabbit painkillers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Today made me realize how useful it would be to have a painkiller on hand for rabbits without spend $30-$50 on a vet exam. I'm sure from the pet rabbit crowd I will get told I should always have them checked by a vet and use vet prescribed meds. Having done small animal rescue I know where they are coming from. However my rabbits are livestock first and pets second and there will be cases where it comes down to butcher it or wait it out because it's not cost effective to take a meat rabbit to the vet. Being able to wait it out without leaving the rabbit in pain the whole time seems helpful and may potentially save a life. Of course metacam is prescription only and most human otc NSAIDs I saw are not recommended for bunnies. But I did find many articles and first hand accounts that found banamine (Flunixin) to work well and as safely as can be expected for an NSAID given to a rabbit. 2 questions on that.. Can injectable banamine be given orally? While I know how to give intramuscular injections I prefer to avoid it and have frequently used injectible livestock meds (particularly ivermectin) topically and orally with guinea pigs. Second would this powder be safe if calculated for the correct dose? http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/flu ... acket.html A packet of that and a packet of critical care on hand sure sounds like a good emergency kit.

Any other otc painkillers that are safe for rabbits?

I like this idea, and think it would be good to have had when my last doe died. I felt awful knowing there was nothing I could do for her pain while I tried to decide what to do.

However, i have no useful info.

I saw that chart and the only otc med that does not list bad side effects is flunixin. That's why I'm asking about it.

I know penicillin by mouth is fatal to rabbits so I would be careful with the how of admin. it.Unless you want to experiment on something that you don't mind having to cull as a result, or someone has first hand knowledge I would go by the chart. Its very frustrating though to find out about drugs for rabbit care I know. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back