New worm composter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is a bad idea for worm bed gets way to hot

great for composting but not worms

104_0098_zps0a6f9474.jpg

well I was completely wrong about this Idea do not make this thing should be called a worm roaster

I cant get all the hay/ pellets separated from the poop as as a result I learned today when it got up to 85 the dirt inside this gets up to about 130 degrees

came outside to find about 3lbs of worms on the surface trying to escape the heat. I rebuild there old bed and dumped them in after dissipating most of the heat

well back to my old idea but slightly better now that its deeper and not under a rabbit cage
108_0112_zpsecde1f19.jpg

I am actually thinking of getting a lot of muck buckets, using them for worm raising and composting-- Insulating with straw would help keep them cooler in summer heat, warmer in winter cold--- Muck buckets also make for good container gardens!!!

ladysown":wtjadr15 said:
what in the world is a "MUCK" bucket???

Inexpensive 'muck buckets' are being sold in Dollar stores, Wallyworld, etc-- they are big plastic tubs, About the size of a half barrel, usually with a pair of rope handles Stand about Knee high on me,. and are used in barns when picking or 'mucking' animal stalls/enclosures. They come in pretty handy if there is not enough space for a wheelbarrow. TSC Sells them, along with a two wheeled 'muck cart' so that one can move the super heavy suckers after you have cleaned up!

I do like the colors one can get them in-- depending on where one buys them, the durability may or may not be acceptable. The Dollar General/Family Dollar quality is okay for container gardening for a couple years, but then, the plastic will start to deteriorate the very first summer. Wal-Mart's are a bit more sturdy, but again, issues with exposure to the elements. The farm supply stores have the quality needed for many years of service, but don't normally have a wide range of pretty colors.

My grandfather used to keep a worm box at his cottage for fishing. As I recall it was a wooden box with a lid with window screening on the bottom. He buried it all but the upper inch or two on the north side of his shed to keep it cool.

Happy":gick6zcj said:
What did you expect to happen when you put a drum of dirt in the Florida sun?

It was in the shade but to much hay and pellets in it caused it to generate alot of heat didn't think it was a problem until it got to about 85 one day

and all the worms were in a mass on top of the dirt that photo was taken late afternoon about 5pm

dang I wish I would have used screen instead of a tarp on the bottom I didn't even think about it just grabbed some dirt and winged it into the bed to get the worms out asap

I gave a friend about 4lb of worms and he had them in a kitchen trash for about 8months I would definitely recommend a big container though

at least the worms were smart enough to come to the surface, and you were smart enough to figure out why, then fix it....

Lizardslaps":1x4x4yd8 said:
It was in the shade but to much hay and pellets in it caused it to generate alot of heat didn't think it was a problem until it got to about 85 one day
I'm glad you got it worked out.

Back