Need Help Fast

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
A friend just called and asked if I knew what would cause a rabbit's front legs to stop working and get severe diarhea. Someone that she has been helping get started has a doe with this problem. The strange part is, is that it is the second rabbit in his barn to have this happen. They are adult rabbits from different lines (Cal Doe and Flemish Buck) and aren't housed near eachother. Any idea what could cause this? He has stopped pellets, is feeding grass hay and water and is going to give a couple of blackberry leaves. Thanks!

~Paula

This sounds like a weird question, but can you please contact them and double check that only the front legs aren't working and the back ones are? Or are the front legs working, but just not properly/coordinated (ie is it a possible balance/coordination issue)? Usually a problem that will cause flaccid paralysis or weakness/neuro symptoms involving of the front legs would affect other parts of the body from the neck/shoulders back as the nervous system is a very interconnected web around that area especially.

Here are some possibilities for neuro problems + diarrhea, but none are exactly what the friend described:

E. cuniculi (protozoan infection)
Tyzzer's disease
Pasteurellosis (not likely without other symptoms)
Baylisascaris procyoni

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, best of luck!

Lauren

Never seen this, but a quick Google search for rabbits front leg paralysis suggests it may be E. Cuniculi.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/ ... akness.htm

or, what sounds more likely to me since this illness also includes diarrhea as a symptom, advanced Pasteurella

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rabbits/past.htm

Scary for your friend's friend that two cases have shown up in rabbits not in close proximity.

It would be safe to feed more than a couple of blackberry leaves. A handful or two may help stop the diarrhea. Strawberry, raspberry, plantain (plantago major) and shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris) are all good and safe for treating diarrhea, but if there is a serious underlying cause they will not help much with that.

Paula,
if it is Pasteurella the rabbits do not have to be housed near each other.
The germ can/is carried on your person and or clothes.
When caring for sick rabbits one must isolate them from the herd,
care for them last and wash and change clothes.
You might want to cull these rabbits and disinfect everything they came in contact with.
Ottersatin.

Oats are a good source of selenium. Sunflower seeds are a good source of vitamin E. If your rabbits symptoms match that part of the article it would help prevent future problems to include a small amount of whole oats and sunflower seeds in their regular diet. If they already get this regularly (my rabbits daily treat cup includes both) then the cause of the problem may be something different.

Thank you, everyone! I passed along the info, but haven't heard anything back. I am very interested to know what it is, as my friend was in his barn helping him breed last weekend. She has a good size herd, so I'm hoping and praying that it isn't pasturella!

Latest posts

Back