Nesting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Reaction score
I now have one nest of kits who at the moment look good. I am due for another in 10 days. I put the second does nest box in today. I know it is very early, but she has been driving me crazy wasting hay and carrying it all over. I put in a box and she has already built a nest. It is not near her potty spot so as long as she doesn't soil it it should be fine to leave it, correct?

Just wanting to make sure I don't screw anything up. I am almost as excited for her to have her kits as I am for the ones I've got to open their eyes. :lol:

mama-san makes a HUGE nest out of anything she can carry into the box as soon as I put a nestbox in her pen. I've not had any problems just leaving it in. As long as she's not using it as a potty spot, should be fine.

The colony does do that, too. all the straw and hay go into the tunnels as soon as the tunnels go into the colony. then they ignore it for the next week. I only know they've kindled when the tunnel ENTRANCE is blocked up.

I think it is fine to give her the box early, as long as she does not use it for a potty. Some does seem to get that nesting urge early... and if they don't get a box, they may choose a spot on the wire. Once their spot is chosen, good luck changing their minds. :roll:

Yeah. Thanks that makes me feel a little bit better about doing what "I just think makes sense"
As she is a cull from another breeder I am not sure what to expect. I was told she only had one litter of 6 and they all made it to freezer camp (8 weeks). Because she only had 6 kits was the reason she was culled. The breeder dose not keep anything that has less than 8 kits. But as I said that is what I was told not what I know for sure.

I can vouch for giving a doe an early nest box. after I got Spooky, the first litter I got from her was on the wire, and I had to move the nest into the box. She just had decided she didnt want a box by the time I got it in there. Second time, I never took it out when she missed. she liked sitting in it and never pooped or peed in there, and so I just let her keep it.

Back