puzzling behavior--

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
I had to call SkysTheLimit tonight, as Au Revoir is showing some interesting behavior.

I can find no sign of injury--

She MAY be anywhere from a few days to three weeks preggers

She is heavy looking in the mid section, but does not feel 'sloppy'

She is 'scrabbling' with her front feet, in a laying position. Sometimes one foot, sometimes booth.

Her movement across the carpeted floor when I took her out of the cage, seems normal.

Droppings are normal

When eating from her food dish, she is standing sorta funny on the front end.

Sky suggested the Tums-- just in case, so when the neighbor came home from school she went out and got some for me( I was watching her kids)

So, AR has been offered the Tums-- she shows no interest-- ate her regular food, no problem. So I put the tablet in the bowl with her regular food.

I really cannot decide if I see a sort of 'wry neck' tilt to her at all.

This is going to be interesting-- I hope I can catch some of her behavior with my camera.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm __________<br /><br />Well, I stand corrected-- AR, when loose in my house last week, with Marsha, seems to have been 'punctured' by either Percy or Marsha's teeth or a few claws. Now, AR attacks Marsha, AR is a very territorial girl, but I had hoped that the space available would provide Marsha plenty of room to keep her distance.-- Marsha is mellow, but will fight back.. I have never seen Percy act aggressively towards his ladies, but he is an eager and willing breeder.
After a half hour of some brushing, and some hair by hair feeling with just a couple fingertips, down deep into her fur, I found scabs.The worst were where a buck would grab a doe with his teeth during breeding. There was one puncture deep in her dewlap fold, in an area I don't normally see or feel on a daily basis.
So, I stuck her with a needle full of antibiotic, She has Tums dissolved in her soaked hay cubes, and to act a little more paranoid-- I dosed her ears with oil 'just in case.'

SO- note to self-- Percy may be TOO aggressive when breeding- and don't depend on a lot of floor space to keep AR from attacking Marsha. I suppose AR is destined to live alone :(

Well at least you have an answer, but that is sad. This is not a line bred to be friendly. I put a another young doe in with a group of young does, and she ripped a patch of fur off my chin doe!!! I have begun culling these misbehaving does.

It really gets me-- they will lay side by side if there is wire between them--- her sister was MUCH better about being loose with other does--but she did not handle last summer's heat..
Percy seems mellow enough with both ladies, and when the neighbor kids had him and Charlie out together, he seemed okay with that--So, perhaps Percy can correct that. The kits he has on the ground right now are friendly and relate well with each other and the older rabbits..

Percy was housed with another buck right until I brought him. He and his sister are very sweet, well behaved bunnies. Scream and Fava were the worst, where most of my scratches came from. I was very happy to get rid of Fava, even though she was my best breeder.

Back