Red Rex Belly

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Just wondering, exactlly what a red rex belly is supposed to look like. Cream, red?? Any pictures would also be appriciated.

well i would help but i am at uncles house and he probably does not want me getting pics on here so when i get home i will try to look. it might help to google red rex belly pics.

Seems the breed standard says that the colors like red are to be as continuous around the body as possible.

Color is to be a rich, red buf, deep in tone, but without smudge. Color is to be as even as possible over the entire body, including belly. The ideal red Rex should have as little shading as possible, giving the appearance of being solid or self color.

Here is a pic of one of the kits I think is Red. Is it?

Attachments

• 100_1811.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 2,523
  • 100_1813.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,522
Red is actually an agouti genetically, so the light belly is not unusual. In red NZ, a "cream" belly is accepted (for now) as is white eye rings and white underside of the tail and white footpads. These are classic agouti pattern light areas, the reds just have those extension and wideband genes that remove the rings from the hair shaft. Here's my favourite website about reds: http://rexrabbit.tripod.com/RasiingRed.html

Having said that red is agouti and will naturally have the lighter belly, eye rings, etc... as a breeder what you are striving for is a rabbit that APPEARS to be a self, not an agouti. You want to select for rabbits that minimize the lighter areas, and have as much red overall as you can. Keep in mind that young reds almost always have a streaky look to them that disappears as they mature. To get the full red belly, you want hair shafts that have red right down to the skin or as close as possible.

The upcoming change to the red NZ standard (I think it was accepted and passed) says the belly of the red should be the same colour as their back. I think that's great to strive for, but there isn't a single red in my herd that doesn't have a creamy belly and there are SOOOOOO many other things I need to select for, that belly fur is just not up there on the top of my list.

Now if I could only get some broken red NZ, the belly colour wouldn't matter :D

moonkitten":1w24ytck said:
Now if I could only get some broken red NZ, the belly colour wouldn't matter :D

You and me, both! I have been breeding the snot out of my broken red buck and have gotten broken blacks and broken agoutis. I've had stern lectures with the rabbits, but they seem to be ignoring them. I can't wait until my red does are old enough to breed to him!!!

pfaubush":27x3vr7p said:
You and me, both! I have been breeding the snot out of my broken red buck and have gotten broken blacks and broken agoutis.

Yeah, you probably won't get any broken reds unless you breed him to reds or chestnut(agouti). You need double recessives on the 'ee' and 'ww' locus, so one from each parent.

But at least you HAVE a broken red to start with. My beautiful broken red doe from Pennsylvania died 2 weeks ago - without having had the decency to wait until she'd had a litter or two :badmood: Now I'm back to trying to create a broken chestnut to get started :cry:

A Thrianta bred to another breed will throw black and agouti the first generation. If you breed those kits back to another red, or to each other, you should get some reds. (To the Broken Red NZ folk.)

hmmm, I was thinking of getting a thrianta breed , for that specific purpose, good to know to keep and breed them back for red. Genes are awsome!

Back