Harlequins...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HendricksHearth

Reaction score
.. are so neat! I posted this on another forum already, but I just had to share here, too. I am very impressed with the breed- a good size, interesting colors/markings, kind/calm temperaments, etc. From what I understand, they make good multi-purpose animals and can be raised for show, for pets, for meat, and even for their beautiful and unusual pelts.

Also, according to the ARBA convention counts provided by Franco's website (RabbitGeek.com), their entry numbers have ranged from:

2005: 147
2006: 112
2007: 94
2008: 131
2009: 52 (Too few!)

So that is an average of 107 animals, which is not high at all. Their registration numbers have been all over the place, from 106 to 47 animals depending on the year, too.

For comparison, Himis averaged 348 animals at convention, more than twice the number of Harlequins and I would still consider Himis a fairly rare breed at least around here. Even that is nothing compared to breeds like Mini Rex though, which averaged over 2100 convention entries per year!

Now I know Harlies are not critically endangered like Americans or Beverens, but I bet folks back in their heyday never would have thought that those breeds would become so rare either compared to back when they were at the peak of their popularity.

SO, just thought I'd share how neat they are and what their numbers are looking like. Now please go out and get some good stock and start raising and showing them. That is all. :D

Thanks!

Lauren

They are fantastic. I love my trio. I love them so much I'm adding two more does and a buck. LOL. They are wonderful. They have great personalities, they are nice to look at and apparently they dress out nicely. :)

ann... come up this way I'll get you a pair :)

I like the ones I have though sometimes I think of switching out for some american chins... met some, loved them.. love that chinchilla colour...

I like them, but marked breeds scare me. I just don't have the space for them! I just know I would end up keeping a bunch of mis-marked breeders with excellent type in hopes of getting the whole package the NEXT generation.

I do like that they are one of the few marked breeds that are REALLY viable for having the culls be good eating, Dutch being good, too, just a bit smaller. I had Spots when I was a kid. Can't imagine trying to eat one of those!

I like them, but marked breeds scare me. I just don't have the space for them! I just know I would end up keeping a bunch of mis-marked breeders with excellent type in hopes of getting the whole package the NEXT generation.

And that's how you do it! :lol: Breed for type, the colour will usually come. Unless you have the white spotting gene pop up (white toes :evil: ), in which case, I won't keep the kits.

Would that be the vienna gene? I have read that unless you are speifically trying for blue eyed whites, to RUN away from vienna rabbits. Me, I want blue eyed whites.

Harlies are pretty cool, too. I want some, so bad (guess I should wait a bit though, huh?)

shrarvrs":2b5qf3fn said:
Would that be the vienna gene?

No, there is what's called the "white spotting gene" although some articles describe it as a "modifier" rather than a gene. It causes white snips or spots. It is very common in harlequins and causes white toes or white feet in the japanese which is a DQ.

I see many people who assume that any white marking on a solid rabbit means the presence of the vienna gene... Sadly I think the white spotting modifier is probably a whole lot more common :(

interesting. I hope both of mine are vienna marked, as opposed to having a white spot gene...is there any way to tell for sure what it is?

Back