Mama-san's kits' weigh-in!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The last litter (8 kits) had a max size of 6oz, smallest(other than runt bunny) of 4.2oz at 2 weeks. This bunch of 4 is 6.8,6.6, 5.2, 5.18. Eyes are half open on each. No problems so far with the remaining 4 :) They feel like fat sausage rolls. :shock: They've moved out from under the wool, and into just the hay, which I figured meant they were too warm under wool.

The grow out pen got a reprieve this weekend. Zero F is just too COLD to be outside doing anything. but...Wednesday is supposed to be warm (up around the 32F mark/0C) so we're aiming for rabbit dinner on..hmm...couple days in the fridge...Saturday :)

Nice weights on the four kits, Ann. Naturally, the smaller the litter the faster the kits grow. but those sound like really good weights to me. Keep an eye on those half-open eyes. Usually by 2 weeks my kits have their eyes fully open, so I'm just a tad concerned that the dry indoor air may be affecting them. They will likely be fine, but it pays to be vigilant.

Even just taking an electric kettle up and letting it make steam while you are playing with the bunnies would help. I just know that the worst cases of nest box eye I have had were with indoor kits in winter when the heat was on.

my indoor popples (yup I said it) have had eyes FULLY open at 2 weeks too - in fac t these precious babies were all over the pen at 2 weeks - hop bunny hop :)

There we go. Humidity up, and eyes swabbed. I've got my 2nd kettle in the room, and every morning during chores, and in the evening, I'll let it go a bit.

BigBunny 1 (BB1) has open eyes now, and is nosing around the nestbox a lot. I put hay and such down around the outside of the box so he can get back in if he hops out. BB2 is...a slug. Might have to name him LAY-ZEE :) NotSo (not so big bunny) 1 and 2 are actively looking around...but not exploring yet.

man..I hope I didn't screw them up too badly by the low humidity. Her last group was slow to leave the box, tho, too.

They should be fine. The extra humidity should do the trick. Don't overdo the swabbing unless there is discharge... It could irritate the eyelids. I found just dripping a bit of tea on the closed or half-closed eye helpful.

Back