Register

Selling newborns as pinkies/feeders

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,555.00

Re: Selling newborns as pinkies/feeders

Post Number:#16  Unread postby DumansArk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 am

Bad Habit wrote:Well, I was thinking of breeding back after 2 weeks/a month. I was also debating just pulling any harlequins out of the nest box, since they don't sell as well. .

:o They don't sell as well there? Send them to meeeeeee... I LOVE HARLIES! And Harlie LH? Wow. It's amazing how things are popular in one area but not in another.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DumansArk ~~~ Animal Art, Jewelry, and Gifts

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 135.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby redbunny » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:17 pm

When I first got into rabbits a breeder told me she puts mismarked Dutch kits in the freezer and then bins them. A wasted opportunity. Apparently it's a nice way to die! May be she should try it! A friend breeds python and they start on young gerbils and move up very quickly. What I detest is those people who post videos on YouTube showing weanling rabbits being fed alive to their snakes much to their obvious amusement. Thankfully in the UK it is illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another animal.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,490.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Dood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

I wish we had that law, but I guess unless they brag about it or put up a video on youtube, enforcement can be difficult.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,996.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 pm

you could do a couple things.

1. pull ALL the kits at birth and let her dry up
2. pull selected kits at birth and let her raise one or two
3. pull ALL kits at birth and let her be a foster mom to better quality kits, particularly if she's better at raising them than another doe is.

How much will you be selling them for? I get a couple bucks each for mine.

I also wouldn't worry about breed back time since she's not going to have demand upon her to rear her kits.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Previous