Maryland Red

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allranger

Reaction score
As you can probably tell by the type of rabbits I raise I am fascinated by rare and heritage breeds. While browsing a site I found a reference to something called a Maryland Red. http://www.highlandrabbits.com/key.html
Is anyone familiar with this breed? I am thinking it might be a typo?

It's not a typo. I think it is essentially a Havana sized New Zealand Red. They were created by Dr. Wendy Feaga in Maryland (of course). She advertises in the New Zealand Club newsletter. I do believe she applied to ARBA for a COD (certificate of development) and was denied because they didn't feel there was enough difference between already established breeds to qualify as an entirely new breed.

So they are out there, but not recognized by ARBA.

Got to love the board. Usually some one knows. Thanks.

Does anybody have any experience with these rabbits?

Yep,
Tennessee Redback, Smokey Mountain Cottontail, and San Juans are all bred to look much like the Eastern Cottontail, and are used to train beagles. The San Juan is actually a true breed from the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington state, but the average San Juan that one will find has been breed into domestic rabbits to a great extent to produce a cotton tail size rabbit and retains very little of the breed originally removed from the San Juan islands. Many of the originally feral rabbits removed from the San Juans were tracked down by various conservation departments and eliminated because the feared that the true feral rabbits might establish and indigenous population in the continental US and cause problems.

Thanks for the info- I had never heard of them before, but I think there is more deer hunting than rabbit hunting with beagles around here. :)

Lauren

Latest posts

Back