Attitude!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lissapell

Reaction score
I have a doe that should deliver any day now and she is being sooo mean. She was also mean before when she was ready to breed. She keeps trying to bite me! I sure hope she settles down when those babies get here.

haha, yes they can be moody when pregnant!

I have both mean moms and gentle moms. The angry ones never seem to grow out of it. They hate everyone for the unwanted pregnancy ;)

My friends get rid of the mean ones so the genetics don't get rebred. I don't mind the grumpy girls; I just wear gloves when I have to handle them.

For me, the mean ones make the best moms. For me.

Anyone else experienced a mean doe that was a superb dam to her kits?

It depends on how mean. I get rid of anything that bites me. Other than that, a grumpy doe is ok.

I don't know how long is the magic number but I've had my buck for around 6 months now and he's just now letting us walk up to him and pet him. I'm not in any way advocating waiting 6 months with that doe though, as I said, I try to breed out bad attitudes.

She was shy the first few wks, I could pet her for a while then she was ready for cujo and got mean toward me. She settled back down for a while and now as her time comes near she is mean again. She had a hay stash tonight tho!

Edited for auto correct

Hormones make for "grumpy" does. My Luna, who I had since she was 6 weeks old, was bred at 8 months (approx) was a bit mean when she was ready to breed (no biting) and was mean when she was ready to kindle. I could understand that after giving birth myself. lol. But after she kindled, she settled right down. Have to add, she was never mean to my husband. He was the one that handled her with no problems from the time she was bred until she kindled.

Give your doe some time to see if she is "actually" mean. And watch the babies too. All Luna's kits are very sweet. Also want to add that it took my new tribe members a good two months to really settle into their environment and get used to me. The only one that settled in right away was my Flemish.

Fingers crossed for a easy delivery and healthy kits.

Karen

my policy is grumbling is fine...attacking or biting is NOT fine pregnant or not. I do give some leniency for the first week of new kits. But if you are consistently nasty to ME then good-bye. I have a seven year old to consider.

Biscuit is my special case and she's 100% a better rabbit being in a 4 x 4 cage. My son knows...be mindful of her when she's on kits or wanting to be bred. otherwise she's good with him now.

You may be able to make friends with her once she kindles.

There is a hormone called prolactin that is released during labor and while nursing that is sometimes called the "feel good hormone". It is largely responsible for the bonding process of mother and infant. So much so, that it is highly recommended that women who have suffered from post-partum depression nurse their babies.

I have successfully tamed many a semi-feral barn cat and temperamental bunnies as well by spending time with them after they give birth.

One doe in particular- Magma- would grumble at me if I even looked at her. She was a little aggressive for the first day or two after she kindled, but now she is one of my friendliest rabbits.

I hope she has a nice healthy litter for you! Make sure to bring a high value treat for her when checking the nest.

I like to give my does parsley as a post-partum treat. It stimulates contractions (to expel any more afterbirth and return the uterus to normal size), and enhances milk production and appetite. All good things for a new mom. :)

Justin":3290pyuj said:
For me, the mean ones make the best moms. For me.

Anyone else experienced a mean doe that was a superb dam to her kits?
I don't know about does in general... And I would definitely prefer to keep my nice does around over the mean ones, but I do have one doe that hates coming out of her cage and is scared of everything, but she is the most amazing mother (pulls twice as much fur as needed, keeps her kits well fed, and tolerates my popple check-ups just fine)! I only get nipped and growled at about 1-2 times per pregnancy and another 1 or 2 scratch attacks in between, but I will put up with it as long as she is producing sweet, healthy babies.

ladysown":38ncx017 said:
my policy is grumbling is fine...attacking or biting is NOT fine pregnant or not. I do give some leniency for the first week of new kits.

Just this morning, Jumpp (who kindled on Monday) for the first time ever got testy with me. Jumpp is a Silver Fox (a breed I selected specifically for not being bity). BUT, upon reflection I realized the fault was mine.

First of all, she was upset because one of her babies fell through the wire (I was able to save it and return it to her--after the "attack" so at the time she was still upset about the missing kit. She really is a very good mommy).
Second, I decided to use a plastic garden fork to "rake" her hay-carpet. I've never used this tool before. It is highly likely that if I'd just used my hand as I usually do, she would not have behaved as she did.

So, really, I am lucky she let me off with a few charges and one almost-bite. Once I got rid of the tool and returned her wayward kit to the nest, she let me pet her and all was forgiven.

All that said, I would not put up with such behavior on an ongoing basis. At some point -- probably after having to tend to a bite wound -- she would get culled.

Back