Californian

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Reaction score
I have a Cal doe who was just bred to a Palomino, Silver fox cross (who is black with some silver hairs)
Will my kits be black or will they look californian? I read somewhere that if you breed Cals with black satins it can darken their points and some will be satin cals. But I do not know if that is true or not. I ask because I think I have a Satin doe who I will end up breeding to my Cal buck in the future.

I'm just looking forward to kits! But anything a little different would be nice.

Leanne,
no the kits will not be Satin.
Satin gene is a recessive so it takes two to produce a Satin Kit.
The offspring will carry the Satin gene and if bred back to another carrier
or to the parent will produce some Satin in that breeding.
The Cal Doe to the Pal/Silver fox cross could produce
some very interesting offspring!
Dennis, C.V.R.

So I doubt I'll have any Satins popping up anytime soon, but I am now very anxious to see the kits. I really hope I get to see some kits this time! We did feel kits on Hanna and I'll check Rainbow in a few weeks. I just hope all goes well with Hanna since she was moved to my home at two weeks pregnant. "I" think she has settled in nicely but time will tell. If nothing else she is a very nice rabbit and I am enjoying her.

Back