Pullet egg!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonkitten

Reaction score
:mbounce:

Found my first egg from the new pullets yesterday. They were hatched May 1st, so they are less than 20 weeks old. That's the youngest I've ever seen start laying! I think I'm going to like these cuckoo marans :)

Err... duh! Less than 23 weeks old. (Where did the summer go? :? )

WOOHOOOO!!!!!

I've had cuckoo marans since we started with chickens, and I LOVE them. Never had one lay THAT early tho..WOWZERS! I've seen a few complaints about the size of the birds, and slow growth rate in a few forums around..but it seems to be the various strains that are causing the problems. If the breeder just concentrates on the darkness of the egg and forgets about size, or growth...well...you end up with dark eggs from small fragile birds :(

anyway..CONGRATULATIONS!!

Devon's Mom Lauren":exqiprgw said:
Cool What are "Cuckoo Marans" Are they a small bird? (like good for a city backyard? hehe)

They are bigger than my Chanteclers (which are probably the ultimate backyard hen :)), but not huge. Hens should be about 6-7 lbs.

Here's a page on Marans in general -http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

The Cuckoo Marans are the black and white ones. All the Marans lay lovely dark shelled eggs. The only drawback so far is that they really like to try to fly. I have a 6 foot fence around the pen and have never had anyone fly out in the 5 years that I've had chickens. This year I had to run netting over the top to keep the Marans in. :wall:

Latest posts

Back