Blue vs Lilac, what's the difference?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't decide. We need the sections divided up more...

Can someone show me the difference between blue Silver Fox and Lilac? To me, it kinda looks like blue is darker like steel and lilac is light gray with possible browning.

That blue looks black. Here is my blue rex
DSCN0103.jpg

Telling blue from lilac is an acquired skill. Once you see the 2 next to each other you will know from then on. A blue is more grey and a lilac is more silver.
Black, lilac, blue
DSCN0318.jpg

Blue (aa B_ dd)is a dilution of black (aa B_ D_), so it should not have any brown hues.
Lilac (aa bb dd)is a dilution of chocolate (aa bb D_)and it should have brown hues since chocolate is a less intense black.

The Champagne D'Argent also is a silverd rabbit breed that you could look for pictures of for comparison of the black, blue, chocolate and lilac selfs.

But I think the only showable colour is black, at least at the moment.

I've not noticed any brown in my lilacs. They are just silver.

akane":2f1dxfru said:
I've not noticed any brown in my lilacs. They are just silver.

I think it was the lighting that made the picture I saw brownish.
The chocolates also seem to look drastically different based on lighting...it's so odd.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:05 pm __________<br /><br />Thanks, y'all.

caroline":3p5fsb3n said:
lonelyfarmgirl":3p5fsb3n said:
Lilac is a pinkish dove-grey. there should be no brown at all.

That's true,but genetically lilac is bb, brown instead of B_, black.
Blue is B_ black.

You *will* get some brownish color on the fur of a Lilac if they are exposed to the sun or a lot of humidity. But, it is not the true color, just "rust" that will molt out.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 pm __________<br /><br />
akane":3p5fsb3n said:
That blue looks black. Here is my blue rex

Nope, just a nice, deep blue... :)

Okay, I'm new and confused. Is my buck blue or lilac?

Attachments

• 14910440_610807481388_892258728375918031_n.jpg
    14910440_610807481388_892258728375918031_n.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 5,958
He looks lilac to me

Lilacs are a really soft, ashen gray (described as "dove-gray") color, while blues are a harsh, dark grey. Lilac is a warm color, with some reddish tones in it, while blue is a very cold color, with bluish tones in the gray. Blues are generally darker than lilacs.
Also, lilacs often have a red glow to their eyes, which blues don't have unless another gene is involved.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see a post about Silver Fox! Also he is a Lilac.. Here's some comparison photos of my Blues and Lilacs :)
This is my 1-2 year old Blue Silver Fox named Turtle
[album]3571[/album]
This is her Lilac kit with a Blue one's bum in the upper left
20161013_140643 (1).jpg
Here is a better pic of the Blue
rsz_20161013_140522_1.jpg
And here's one of my 10 month old Lilac :)
DSCF9432JPG (1).jpg

Thank you all! I saw him in better light today and WOW he is lilac and I had no idea! He looked like a "washed out" gray to me, but I didn't think a thought about it. Interestingly I also have his sisters or half sisters so it will be interesting to see what their kits end up looking like!

Yes, I am very in love with this gentle sweet breed. I have only come across one nervy doe so far, but I'm hoping breeding will settle her down. :)

I feel like Blue's in Silver fox are more purple blue. I have more pictures of the blue and Lilac as kits, they looked like two Lilacs until little blue started getting more of a blue/purple mixed with a dark gray in my opinion while the lilac started getting paler. Also Cedarane, we are very close to each other, I live in Burnsville, NC and have actually been looking for a nearby Silver Fox breeder.

Edited because I forgot to include the pictures:
DSCF9225JPG (1).jpg
DSCF9263JPG (2).jpg
DSCF9261JPG (2).jpg
DSCF9250JPG (3).jpg

That's awesome! What are you looking for? I just had a litter born December 9. I need to get some 5 week old pictures of the nuggets. :bunnyhop:

ButtonsPalace said:
I feel like Blue's in Silver fox are more purple blue. I have more pictures of the blue and Lilac as kits, they looked like two Lilacs until little blue started getting more of a blue/purple mixed with a dark gray in my opinion while the lilac started getting paler. Also Cedarane, we are very close to each other, I live in Burnsville, NC and have actually been looking for a nearby Silver Fox breeder.

I feel like I know you now that I know you live in Burnsville.. Sending you a pm XP <br /><br /> __________ January 12th, 2017, 2:17 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm looking for a buck, not being picky about color. Hopefully here in the next month or so I'll be getting more cages so I have space for one. I've got big plans and a small wallet haha! Although I'm hopefully going to be able to get a job at Flick Video which will help tons if I can..

Back