Rabbit with tarragon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
taken from : http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... on-recipes. Has pics so go check it out. :)

Rabbit with Tarragon

Some new potatoes are called for here. Steamed in their skins, no butter. Serves 3.

2 medium-sized onions
60g butter
80g fennel
3 tbsp flour
600g wild rabbit (2 x half-rabbit portions)
125ml white wine or white vermouth
300ml stock
15g (a medium-sized bunch) tarragon
100ml cream

Peel and roughly chop the onions. Melt half of the butter in a casserole and add the onions. Leave them to cook on a low to moderate heat until the onions are soft but not coloured. They will need a stir now and again.

Slice the fennel thinly, reserving the fronds, and add to the onions. Put the flour in a plastic bag, season with salt and pepper, then add the rabbit pieces.

Shake the bag gently to coat the rabbit in seasoned flour. Melt the remaining butter in a shallow pan, then add the rabbit and leave to colour lightly on both sides.

Transfer the rabbit to the onions and fennel, pour the wine or vermouth into the pan in which you fried the rabbit, bring to the boil and stir to dissolve any remains from the rabbit on the pan. Tip into the casserole with the stock.

Remove the leaves from the tarragon and chop half of it. Stir into the onions then partially cover with a lid and leave to simmer gently for an hour over a low to moderate heat. Stir occasionally.

When the rabbit is tender – it should come away from the bone with a good tug – stir in the cream, fennel tops and the remaining tarragon. Check the seasoning, adding more salt as you think fit, then serve.

A salad of radishes and spring onions

I sometimes add cucumber, increasing this salad's refreshing quality. A small one, peeled, halved and its seeds removed with a teaspoon, is enough for the quantity below. Radish seedlings are just one of the sprouted seeds available. Serves 3.

a bunch of radishes
2 tbsp lemon juice, plus a little more
6 slim spring onions
100g fennel
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp capers, rinsed
8 mint leaves
2 handfuls sprouted radish seeds or mung beans

Trim the radishes, discarding the green top and long tails. Slice finely and put them in a bowl. Squeeze over a little lemon juice.

Remove and discard the toughest green shoots from the spring onions, finely slice the rest and add to the radishes. Thinly slice the fennel, reserving its fronds, and add to the radishes.

Make the dressing. Put a large pinch of salt into a small bowl then add 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Stir in 4 tbsp of olive oil, the reserved fennel fronds, capers and mint leaves, torn into small pieces. Toss gently, scatter the radish seedlings or sprouting mung beans on top. Serve with the rabbit.

I've always used the tarragon for a beurre brun sauce with a nice firm white fish, like cod or haddock. Very nice indeed when complemented by a portion of yams and yellow beans.
I must say since we've culled and butchered the first of our rabbit stock I would think that your recipe would be most delicious and I absolutely intend to follow through with it.

I look forward to this gastronomical delight. Pour moi et pour t'mon ami, bon appétit!

Votre français est très bonne Mlle. M.

Lupin est une fleur, lapin est la "rabbit".

It's a shame we can't all sit down to the same dinner, what a time that would be!

French isn't my first language but where I currently live it's needed so I'm reacquainting myself with it. I'm not so good at pronunciation, the nuances, and the verb conjugation makes my eyes roll back into my head.

You mean I actually said that correctly? Except for "rabbit"? :lol: Thank you for correcting me on that, by the way! :clap:

That would be great if we could all get together for a big pot luck! Wow!

I took three years of high school French, growing up in Louisiana with Cajun (Acadian) heritage. But I graduated 22 years ago, and haven't used it a lot since then. I had just started thinking in French when I stopped; if I had kept going, I'd probably be a lot better now.

Years later in Delaware, I took a Spanish class out of self defense, since I worked retail and encountered a number of people who spoke no English. After a while, I realized it was mixing with the French I knew because the two are so similar. It is interesting that knowing French partially opens up Spanish and Italian... I can recognize some words in those languages because of French.

Interestingly enough miss M and johnfrancis would share the same dialect of french; Cajun/acadian! here we have a unusual dialect that has been blended with first nations language into a Metis french! I totally can't get it I have to ask what something means all the time as the pronounciation of words is really different.

Devon's Mom Lauren":2ky87m9f said:
Interestingly enough miss M and johnfrancis would share the same dialect of french; Cajun/acadian! here we have a unusual dialect that has been blended with first nations language into a Metis french! I totally can't get it I have to ask what something means all the time as the pronounciation of words is really different.
That's pretty neat! The French dialect down here does have some influence from local Indian languages, as well as Spanish and Creole. It is also generally spoken with a heavy accent that has the consistency of a thick, spicy etouffee, rather than the light elegance of beurre blanc like French spoken in France. :lol: Is it the same there?

"That's pretty neat! The French dialect down here does have some influence from local Indian languages, as well as Spanish and Creole. It is also generally spoken with a heavy accent that has the consistency of a thick, spicy etouffee, rather than the light elegance of beurre blanc like French spoken in France. :lol: Is it the same there?"

As best as I can tell there's two types of French spoken in New Brunswick. One is called "sheaic" (I'm certain I've spelled that wrong) which has a lot of English and some French slang mixed in. It's spoken more along the Southern parts of the Acadian Peninsula and around the larger urban centres. In the Northern part of the province along the border of Quebec (which is predominately francophone) the population speaks a more archaic French. Some people from France have suggested that it's like speaking to a person from the 1700's, but it's worth pointing out that people from France, and Quebec for that matter; have a somewhat condescending attitude towards my beloved Acadians. The term "hillbillies" is often bandied about.
There are many stories here about when a francophone from New Brunswick visits Quebec and orders a meal in a restaurant the waitress will find an English speaker to take their order because they claim to not recognize what they're saying!
Funny enough about that business is the amount of Quebecois that vacation in New Brunswick's seaside parks and cottages. They don't seem to have any problem at all understanding the local dialect.
The New Orleans accent is delightfully unique and an absolute pleasure to hear. I know of no other that can match it's warmth and charm.

Back