Cardboard

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
As most folks know, giving bunnies a resting board is a good idea.

BUT what to do with the messy ones...oh...see...something new to poop and pee on. And I have a few of those big boards that they can poop and pee through but for the messy ones...it really doesn't matter they get those filthy too!

I usually use wood because it's easy to burn. or something that is cleanable like tiles and what not.

I was thinking the other day since I have a constant supply of cardboard available to me.
What about using cardboard with them? I use small boxes as kits beds when they are transitioning from nestboxes so they have them for a week. Other than the pain of having to cut it down...it's a cheaper source than using wood (as I'm starting to run out of my scrap wood pile)..... can anyone see a big problem doing so?

And yes I know...they can rip it up, but it does compost so that end of things concerns me not.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

funny you should mention... I use cardboard only! i also have a huge supply! i just ripped up hunks, depending on size of rabbit and cage, and have them ready to grab when one gets icky. And they don't get as icky as fast as you might think! They play with them, lay on them, chew on them a bit, but they last a really long time. I take 'em out and if they're not too pee soaked (usually one little corner, and maybe I'll just rip that off) and dump off the poops and hay and put it back in. and when they're too pee soaked, they can be composted!

I really felt like I was onto something with the $$ saving and time saving.. you'll feel that way about it, too, i think :)

I love giving cardboard to my rabbits its a toy and rest area all in one so cute. As soon as they get there piece they start scratching and throwing it around. Some will have theirs total demolished with in a day others take a couple of days and there's a very few who use them as a rest board. But the ones that do demolish there leave a mess in there cages. So you have to go in there and clean up there mess. And they like to stick there pieces in there potty corner or just pee on it were it lays. So yucky i have to clean my hands extra good when i come in from cleaning there cages. I use cardboard a lot more in the winter especially with the young freshly weaned ones. They do seam to use it as a resting spot more in the winter. Its like a mini warmer for them i guess.

I've used cardboard..but have recently been using the tops to rubbermaid tubs. (actually, it's the cheap type of tub..not real rubbermaid) They're easy to clean, the buns don't seem to chew them, and I always have extra tops. The tubs go under the cages, or are used to cart out the droppings (or they break) so the tops are just laying around getting in the way.

I like the idea of cardboard tho. they can chew it. they can poop on it. it goes into compost. Or..laid down on the garden and it just disintegrates over winter.

Back