Would you sell rabbits as Christmas/Easter presents?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKRabbitry

Reaction score
I've heard a lotof breeders say they would never sell a pet rabbit at Christmas or Easter time. I understand the reasoning to this.
They don't want their bunny to get forgotten, and neglected after the novelty of the season wears off.

I'm interested in hearing what y'alls opinions are on this.
Personally I have no problem selling a rabbit as Christmas or Easter present, as long as I feel like they are responsible people, who really intend to give the rabbit a good home for as long as possible.
Just like I would whenever I sell a bunny.

I know people who have gotten rabbits for their kids during Easter or Christmas time, just to make that Holiday extra memorable.......and those rabbits were loved and cared for, for life. I also know of people who got rabbits at ordinary times of the year, and those rabbits ended up abandoned.
So that makes me think that the time of the year doesn't really effect the fate of the rabbit. As long as you try to sell to good homes, the time of year doesn't make a difference.

So what do you guys think? Why do you, or don't you, sell rabbits during Holidays seasons? Any good or bad expieriences?
I want to hear your opinions!

I am selling a Silver Fox breeding trio for Christmas to a family who wants to raise meat rabbits. The rabbits will be early Christmas presents for the kids -- as will the experience of raising their own food. They started building their pens over a month ago and are fully invested in this endeavor. They parents really researched the heck out of raising rabbits, meat breeds, their living arrangements, etc. Because of all of this, I know these rabbits aren't the stereotypical "puppy under the Christmas tree" pets and I'm comfortable selling them as "Christmas presents."

When it comes to selling my rabbits at holiday times, I have to look at each request and evaluate it just like I would at any other time of the year. I don't advertise our litters as pets ever. I'm not in the pet business nor do I want to be... just not my thing. So I have a different perspective than others might have.

I raise meat rabbits, but some folks buy my rabbits for pets. If a parent is buying for a child, I make sure they understand THEY might have to be the primary caregiver, and prefer they have other rabbits already, or had them in the past, especially if the child is under 13. Time of year is not super important, though I suppose for larger rabbitries, which might not have the time to chat at length with their customers, there is a fear some people would lie to get what they want.

This is my first holiday with rabbits. I've actually only had one person interested in rabbits for Christmas, and I'm selling to her, and holding them for her. We've been talking for quite a period of time about it, probably 2 weeks, and she's coming to pay a deposit on Wednesday.

I'm going to have babies for Easter as well, as I've promised a photographer that I would provide her with babies for Easter photo props.

I offer a take-back guarantee, though, and will be stressing that on the holiday buyers. I'd rather they return the rabbit to me than give it away or dump it at a shelter. At this point, I think that's about all I can do to ensure that they are given proper care and are well taken care of.

Bad Habit":1vhbnogo said:
I offer a take-back guarantee, though, and will be stressing that on the holiday buyers. I'd rather they return the rabbit to me than give it away or dump it at a shelter. At this point, I think that's about all I can do to ensure that they are given proper care and are well taken care of.
That's a good idea BadHabit.

KKRabbitry":1llmatms said:
Bad Habit":1llmatms said:
That's a good idea BadHabit.

Well, I will take back any rabbit bred here, regardless when I sell it. I'm just going to be stressing it more intensely with the holiday buyers. So far I've only had one brought back - Hannah, who I absolutely adore and almost kept anyway!

Exactly. Excellent idea to emphasize that all the more during the Holidays.
We've only had two returned, one because of allergies. It's a good practice to have.

I don't think holiday bunnies tend to get dumped any more than ordinary day bunnies. Rescues hate all the people buying holiday bunnies because it results in a lot of rabbits requiring new homes a few months after. Birthday bunnies don't make as big an impact because birthdays happens every day.

I don't sell pets ever, since I have an agricultural exemption from the state. I would lose it if I sold "pet" rabbits.

I have no issues selling bunnies over the holidays. People like to give gifts and I find with rabbits that people put off buying them until they have a reason...a birthday, Easter, Christmas or whatever. and those that do (at least for me -- are parents buying them for their animal crazy children). But most that are sell are to people wanting a pet (adults) So my assumption is they have done their homework.

I must say though, I sell the bulk of my pet rabbits in-between holidays. Do I sell lots at Easter? well... yeah, but also no. I find most want them a couple weeks before or a couple weeks after. The people that want them right at Easter tend to be demanding and want bunnies cheap. I don't do demanding (hmm...I do have a life you know), and I generally don't do cheap unless the rabbit warrants it (but then I'd rather sell to animal food).

I sell rabbits independent of the season, but not to people who are giving them as gifts. IMHO, it leaves far too much room for neglect once the "cool" part of it wears off and the responsibility of what it takes to raise them sets in.

I do black outs 5 days before and after major holidays. I learned very quickly after I tried to let a family be an "exception" last year. They were super nice and very excited....until the day for them to visit right before Easter came....I had to call THEM after they were an hour or two late for their appointment for them to tell me,"Well we were in traffic for quite some time, so we decided to turn around."

Thanks for telling me!

I tried to be polite and offer holding with a deposit and she kept trying to avoid the question," But we wanted the Easter bunny to drop it off for them...."

Finally I she was like," I think next year will be a better time."

Well....just another number added that shows up as DO NOT SELL on my phone.

People impluse buy too much and then figure it out later. Not that it doesn't happen any other time of the year, but some people get them last minute or try to make their kids happy momentarily....until they have to go out and clean the cage in the middle of winter.

IMPO I say hold on to them during those crazy holidays. 4 Week old New Zealands Whites BLOW UP the market during that time and people usually just want the cheaper rabbit.

I saw a student from my college who took a picture of some cute wine glass, candies,card and a little 4 week old NZW in a itty bitty cage as a decoration for the most part. Funny how some are never heard of again after the holiday is over.

Nope. Don't sell anything live on any holidays. Meaning Christmas or Easter. Impulse buy and usually the wrong decision.

Karen

a7736100":jdlisaho said:
I don't think holiday bunnies tend to get dumped any more than ordinary day bunnies. Rescues hate all the people buying holiday bunnies because it results in a lot of rabbits requiring new homes a few months after. Birthday bunnies don't make as big an impact because birthdays happens every day.
Good point, that makes a lot of sense.

And Peach, I think your five-day black out is a good idea. Most of the folks who buy Holiday rabbits from us contact us weeks, if not months in advance to make arrangments. Five days before hand is probably much more likely to be an impulse buy.

I certainly don't mind people who refuse to sell on holidays. If that's what they feel is needed to prevent their rabbits going to bad homes, good for them.
I just haven't really seen how bunnies purchased for holidays gifts are anymore likely to end up unwanted.
And I think some rescue groups go to far in making you feel like or horrible, horrible person if you sell, (or even buy) any kind of animal for Christmas gifts. I think if that was their intention, they've done a good job of it. I know countless rabbit, dog, cat and other small animal breeders who won't sell anything around holidays. Perhaps their fear is a little ungrounded?

Thanks! :)

I think if they do ask in advance, like a gentleman I had email me today, I am very straight forward that the cut off day is the 19th. Of course if whoever puts down a deposit/picks up first, gets the rabbit. First come,first serve rules just help cut out no shows or on the fence people.

This year for Christmas my mother and I surprised my sister with a Netherland Dwarf. Of course she had been eyeing him for a while and needed a shaded buck, so it was no impulse buy. We tend to give each other rabbits that we need to improve our herd to each other for birthdays and Christmas. Back to back years I had gotten a Netherland Dwarf for my birthday. They were very nice quality too. Special occasions give you an excuse to spend the money on rabbits you need/want. It also makes them extra special.

Now with some people they are only looking to buy for the holiday gimmick, and should never be sold to any day of the year. With dogs I learned even the people who say "we'll give them the best home and they will be with us forever" can be the ones who will get rid of them when reality sets in. That's where setting the price higher comes in handy. It runs off a lot of bad buyers, and when someone puts that kind of money into a rabbit they will more likely treasure and take better care of it.

I do sell near holidays, but then again I do not have a whole lot to sell, so I can talk with them first and weed out bad buyers. I think it would be a shame not to sell them near holiday. I got "My" First rabbit at Easter when I was 3. My mother fed watered it and played with it, and I would "help". I will sell if there is a responsible parent, who understands how to care for a rabbit.

Back