White Satins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billylilwigeon

Reaction score
I raised show rabbits for 8 years prior to going into the US Air Force, and now that I am retired, I am looking very seriously looking at re-entering the show arenas with what my bread-n-butter rabbits were--White Satins.

I was a bit surprised and rather disappointed to see that not nearly as many breeders have them any longer as what there were some 25 years ago. Anyone have any inputs on what happened?

And I'm not talking about Mini-Satins, either.

Can't add much that is worthy to this thread.. but, oddly, today, I went on an impulse and bought two satin does. their dad is a white satin.

my two does were starting out to be 'siamese' (idk anything about colors or terms yets. waiting for my SOP from the library) but their color was off so they are unshowable.

Hello billylilwigeon, and dandee,
You will find that there are not as many Rabbit breeders
showing what once was. There are so many other colors to choose from
that some have switched their color scheme.
I have whites appear now and then but I am working more
with the Otter varieties: Black Otter, Blue Otter, Chocolate Otter
& Lilac Otter. I do have some Blacks, Chocolates, Reds and Broken colors.
I am working toward getting a Siamese or two.
Dandee, you can purchase the "Standard of Perfection" Through A.R.B.A.
or from a Catalog. I would wait till November as that is when
the new SOP comes out.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I'm not sure about your lines but I know a lot of people in my area got out of Satins because of their stunted growth rates. They were barely making 5lbs at 16 weeks, and they ate way to much for the amount they were growing. It was the same reason I got out of them I just don't have the space to keep fryers that long and risk getting attached, especially since my other Breed is giving me 5lb fryers by 10 weeks eats way less, and is a rare/heritage breed.

Devon^^, i am so loving these heritage breeds as i learn more about them. I'm secretly hoping that I'm going to have some Americans soon.. but, again, I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I sold a couple Bruns to someone in PA who raises Americans. They are sooo pretty. I *might* be getting a pair of Blanc De Hotot if I can find someone who'll drive them over the border for me.

I LOVE Blanc de Hotot! I am looking for some myself....

On the other hand, I love the name Satin, ecause White Satin sounds like some nice nightie or something.

I just got a Satin buck, and the fur really is different, in a soft, subtle way. I plan on getting a few does, as well, after I move (or maybe right before). lol

Hey DevonW,
I am in upstate N.Y. Not having tiny problems,
in fact I have a Chocolate Doe that is 11 pounds.
I know she's a bit over weight, but I keep her because
I feel she can/will add size to any litters that she produces.
I do have a few smaller Does but I believe it's my own doing.
I was anxious to getr a litter out of them and bred them
before they had reached Senior weight.
I believe that is where all the smaller Satins are coming from,
unless they had been crossed to the Mini Satins.
I don't have Mini Satins.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I'll be honest, folks. I cannot get my arms around the idea of raising broken satins. I think doing so creates as many problems as they solve (not the least of which is a slough of white toenails). I will be content to raise solid colors, and keep the blacks and blues separate from the whites in the breeding programs.

I understand that the majority of solid colors on the market today have brokens in their pedigree, but my belief is that the farther back/distant they get into the lineage, the less chance they have of rearing their ugly heads.

And mini-satins? Forget it.

I went to the state fair this year and half of the rabbits being showed where satins. Most of them were the white ones. I suppose it is where you live. That being said there were not that many rabbits at the fair this year.

allranger":qmiycklu said:
billylilwigeon":qmiycklu said:
Allranger, where do you live?

Southwest Idaho.

I went to a show in Murfreesboro TN a couple of weeks back, and there were only 2 breeders with them, maybe 8 whites in the show total. Back in the day when I was showing them the first time around, they were one of the most popular overall breed varieties around this entire region.

Also, I spoke with Al Lunde a few weeks back, and he told me there weren't more than a couple dozen whites shown at last year's national convention in San Diego.

I don't doubt they're still shown in some areas, but what I am noticing (along with several breeders from other regions of the country) is that their numbers are down considerably.

Back