Molting Question...anyone???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I have a doe that is about a year old. She is molting (2nd time in about 4 months). Many of my rabbits are molting, but this doe looks like something out of Frankenstein. She is losing clumps upon clumps of fur.

I culled her sister because she was in perpetual molt, losing huge clumps with no end in sight. I'm sure this was why she hit the 3 strike rule so fast and not producing the way she was supposed to.

Is this something genetic (these sisters are the only 2 that have had the 'Frankenrabbit' look)? Do some lines just molt more than others? I haven't kept anything back from either doe and don't plan to.

And, what impact does the molting have on breeding. This doe is due today, but the molting just began about a week ago. I can see movement in her belly, so I know she's pregnant. I'm just wondering how well can she really do if she is using all of her energy to molt.

On another note, we did just change feed (gradually) and many of my rabbits have began to molt (not to the extent of the ones I was talking about above). I know it is starting to get to that time of year, but am figuring that maybe the switch to a better quality feed is related?

Any thoughts, knowlege, or insights into molting would sure be appreciated. Especially where breeding is concerned. I have 30 breeding does and can't afford to be out of breeding business because I bred them at the wrong time and had to wait. If that makes a bit of sense.

I'm not too familiar with molting rabbits but from what I've read it can be brought on by too much protein in the diet. If that is the case maybe your feed is a little too good and you should switch to a lower protein feed. If they're constantly having to grow a new coat they are using up nutrients that could otherwise go into producing a litter of healthy kits.

Pfaubush,
Little to no attention is paid to Molting
in Commercial Meat rabbit operations.
Some say that heavy high protein feeding will/may induce Molt.
Unusually high temperatures can bring on Molt.
You may want to cut back slightly on the feed and give more Grass-hay.
How much feed are you giving each rabbit?
I would say feed enough so that they do not seem hungry but
not so much that there is feed left in their bowl when you go to feed next day.
A fat rabbit is not a healthy rabbit. You want to maintain condition
while not over conditioning. You may after all have to CULL
those rabbits that remain in continual Molt.
Dennis.

I am giving a cup a day. I don't find most of the molting out there unusual right now, since the temps are changing and we just switched feed. The 2 sisters are a completely different story. I culled the first one, since she seemed to never stop. I am most likely going to cull the second one this weekend. If nothing else, it is eating up a ton of my time to clean her cage every day. She is losing so much fur and her potty corner gets nasty and hard to clean FAST.

I've been told too high of protein will put some breeds in to perpetual molt. My mini rex all fell apart when I switched them from a poor quality 14% protein feed to 16% plus some sunflower seeds which are 23%. However with the help of the sunflower seeds they are all growing some very nice new coats so I'm going to use beet pulp to drop the total protein % from my feed and alfalfa mix hay instead of cutting out either one.

akane":2derapzq said:
I've been told too high of protein will put some breeds in to perpetual molt. My mini rex all fell apart when I switched them from a poor quality 14% protein feed to 16% plus some sunflower seeds which are 23%. However with the help of the sunflower seeds they are all growing some very nice new coats so I'm going to use beet pulp to drop the total protein % from my feed and alfalfa mix hay instead of cutting out either one.

When you want to rush a rabbit through a molt
you use "hot" feeds to accomplish that.
Corn and Black oil sunflower seeds are hot feeds
So, by adding the BOSS [Black oil sunflower seeds]
to your rabbits diet you caused them to molt out thus accomplishing your goal.
I would stick with the 16% feed but stop adding so many BOSS
to the mix. Beet pulp will expand when wet so I would suggest
that you do not feed it dry. It may expand in their belly
bringing about great stress. I have used Beet pulp pellets
in the harshest winter, I prepared in a large bucket full of Hot water
and a scoop or two of the Pulp pellets a mash which I feed in Bowls.
Since it was already expanded it was not a threat but added a nice warm meal.
You will be truly amazed at how much just a few of the beet pulp pellets expand.
Start with a little and add more pellets slowly if you need to.
As always, JMPO.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Back