I have Alum!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These your first pelts Truckinguy? Wow, GOOD job! My first ones looked like roadkill, lol.

I"ve really learned that I need to do a better job of scraping the hides and that really affects the final quality of the hide.
I agree. I find young rabbits much easier to do than the older ones. When I did one of the Sr. rabbits last year it took hours to flesh. Holy, my arms were aching after that, lol. The hide was much thicker, but it was like the furthest thing from pliable - and I had a really hard time to get it even halfway soft. (I'm thinking about making some insoles from that pelt though)

The other thing I noticed is that my rabbits tend to be on the fat side. I'm thinking about ordering some degreaser this year because I've read that any residual fat remaining in the hide will prevent the tanning solution from penetrating properly. I think I read somewhere too that it can cause a finished pelt to break down.

So what will you make with all your furs? Slippers? scarf?

-Kyah

Those will keep you feet toasty warm in those cold Wisconsin winters, Ann! :) If you have enough furs, you could use fur inside and outside. And make little ears for the upper and a fluffy tail at the heel. :D

MaggieJ":2ej0wozn said:
Those will keep you feet toasty warm in those cold Wisconsin winters, Ann! :) If you have enough furs, you could use fur inside and outside. And make little ears for the upper and a fluffy tail at the heel. :D
Oh lordy...I wonder if you can tan the ears so that they look good? .... well, of course a taxidermist can, I suppose. hmmmmm... and if I sew up the heel so it's not a clog type, but an actual shoe-look, I could put the tail on the back.....

oh golly....the mind BOGGLES....

The other thing I noticed is that my rabbits tend to be on the fat side. I'm thinking about ordering some degreaser this year because I've read that any residual fat remaining in the hide will prevent the tanning solution from penetrating properly. I think I read somewhere too that it can cause a finished pelt to break down.

Yes, this last batch of three hides I started a couple of weeks ago went bad in the pickle, I had them in it for two days then pulled them out to flesh them and they smelled real bad. I think I left too much fat on them. I have four buns ready for camp now so I'll try again and be a little more careful this time. As to what to do with them, I haven't decided yet, depends how well they turn out.

That google search for bunny slippers brought up a few funny things, the Monty Python bunny slippers were pretty funny and the huge motorized bunny slippers were hilarious!

I can just see you in your bunny slippers, going to tend your rabbits. Their little eyes would bug out...

That's just too funny!!

I have thought of rabbit fur slippers before but was always a little afraid to freak out people who stopped by...I guess I know some seriously over-sensitive types. I find it totally weird how there are those cheap toy novelty cats covered in rabbit fur from China and noone seems offended, but if I were to do something useful with rabbit fur, like make mittens or a hood liner, I would get hate-mail and evil looks on the sidewalk...maybe I am being paranoid?

eco2pia":3vtowqg7 said:
I have thought of rabbit fur slippers before but was always a little afraid to freak out people who stopped by...I guess I know some seriously over-sensitive types. I find it totally weird how there are those cheap toy novelty cats covered in rabbit fur from China and noone seems offended, but if I were to do something useful with rabbit fur, like make mittens or a hood liner, I would get hate-mail and evil looks on the sidewalk...maybe I am being paranoid?
Or... maybe you need to move down here! :D

eco2pia":3e97s12x said:
Just tell them you are helping to maintain the local indigenous peoples and skills :D Or that you got them from an Inuit. They will nod and admire your willingness to do so!

Anntann":1k0ajngz said:
Just tell them you are helping to maintain the local indigenous peoples and skills :D Or that you got them from an Inuit. They will nod and admire your willingness to do so!
Ann! That is so brilliant!! :D

Back