liquid tan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
Does anyone use liquid tan? We have an opportunity to sell our pelts but they need to be tanned. Doesn't have to be a good quality tan, just can't be a raw pelt. We're considering liquid tanning if it's not cost prohibitive.

I clicked on this thread because when I saw "liquid tan", I thought of the fake tan stuff that turns your skin orange. I thought somebody had given some poor bun a fake tan! :lol:

It's pretty expensive per bottle, at the same amount of pelts for one cup of alum.

There are several liquid tans on the market. I've used Krowtann for quick applications but prefer using Rittel's EZ-100/salt or alum sulfate/salt process that requires monitoring ph, salt rehydration, fleshing, pickling with acid/salt, tanning, oiling, drying and breaking. What ever product is used, a good final product results from keeping the animals hide as free of bacteria as you do the consumable flesh. After removing the animals hide, immediately salt the flesh side to retard bacteria growth and start the cure process. A good tanned pelt takes patience, time and elbow grease. The finish product is worth it.

We don't need good tanning. Greg can do that and knows how. We need a quick tan so the pelts aren't fresh. We have a potential customer who will use them as lures and rewards for dog training. They'll be destroyed pretty quickly. Basically, I'm looking for a quick tan type of product.

You could get a quick tan with alum if you temps are high, good enough for dogs and lures, if they do not have to hold up to the stress of wear, tans can happen within a week, without putting tanning chemicals in something a dog will ingest.

That's what we're looking for but trying to decide if it's cost effective or not. We've found some quick-tan products but don't know how many hides they'll tan. If it's $10 for a bottle of quick-tan that will only do one pelt, it's not worth it because we'll only get $7/hide.

Latest posts

Back