honest evaluation of NZR doe (pics)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I have bunny-love and can't see the faults (other than lack of pedigree) in this doe. I think she is a beauty and that the breed standard for NZR should change to match her... :lol:

I am breeding for table only and just curious, what is she lacking? If I were breeding to improve what would you be selecting in a mate to improve her?

I like her ears and head and length of body, but I suspect that is not the goal type for NZR--she should be blockier, right? She is 5 1/2 months.

"Cinnabun":View attachment cinnabun2.jpgView attachment cinnabun1.jpg

For me...with any animal that I'm looking at for a brood animal, I look for wide, spacious hips. (large birth canal). With the rabbits, i've been finding that the critters with a BIG BUTT and decent loins give me a LOT of meat. The more balanced, round NZ seem to have more meat up front, with less on the haunches.

I THINK that NZ are supposed to be quite ROUND from the back of the head to the tail. As to this girl..I watched my wonderful Mama-san Clone turn into a long and lanky 5month old...and then chunk up a LOT between 5 and 8 months. She's now a Big Momma! (who is about to get her chance at some "bunny love" of her own :lol: )

That's pretty good looking rabbit and if you put it on a show table you will beat some of the whites. I am not a big fan of the gumdrop shape for NZ Whites. The gumdrop lacks the "balanced" look this rabbit has.

The NZ Red don't seem to develop that gumdrop shape as readily and as a result they look more "rabbit" like than the NZW gumdrops. So a good wide hind end and full loin is as good as it gets and is plenty good enough.

In the 2nd picture (side view) it looks like a flat spot behind the shoulder, but that is probably from the pose (hind feet too far under).

Notice the color difference in picture one and picture two. Picture one rabbit color is shown as lighter since there is some white concrete in the shot and your camera is trying to balance light/dark.

Color in second picture is deeper red as camera balances the natural green from the grass.

If you can find a decent red buck you would have the start of a nice line of reds.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

yay! How fun, she really is pretty! XD

Yeah, the second pic shows true color, the weird looking feet position is caused by the crib springs in the grass that she is on (her playpen). I don't think the flat spot is really there. hmmn 3 generations to get a pedigree, huh? this just might be worth it.

Latest posts

Back