The Battle With Flies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I read something on the meat rabbit list about pennies in a ziplock bag with water to repel flies. It seems that if you put a few pennies in the bag, fill with water, and hang it, the flies will leave. It has something to do with the fly's optical ability? I went and looked it up and haven't seen one person that says it doesn't work. I will be trying this tomorrow in the rabbitry! So, total cost...4 pennies and a ziplock bag. Can't hurt to try!

No way! You have GOT to report back on this! That would be so very strange, and so very, very helpful to us all!!! :) I can afford 4 cents!

On another rabbit forum I'm on, someone suggested a container of dried oregano. I'm in the process of testing that one.

Hmmm... for us, right now, I'd need bags all over the place. The sides above the screens are not closed in yet, and the bottoms below the screens aren't either. We'll get there eventually. Probably when it gets cooler.

Oregano... that sounds interesting too!

We are having a much larger issue now that we have chickens too, and I have read to get some feed grade diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around the chickens bedding. Im gonna give it a try- I dont think it would hurt the rabbits, but I may just lightly dust the cleaned poo pans (away from where they could breathe the dust)

Not so hot, I'm sorry to report. I do notice less flies, but not to the degree I was hoping for. I have actually thought about adding a couple more. Eventually, the flies will just think they're in some night club, doing the disco.

The baggies are also supposed to help with wasps and hornets...that I can say isn't the case. We have some kind of problem with them! I'm going today to get one of those nasty, rotten meat smelling traps. At this point, I don't know what else to do.

I hang fly paper in every doorway and eave of the house and porch and sprinkle diotomaceous earth around the yard especially in high poop areas. I also have one of those nasty smelling carrion bags out by the fence and it catches flies but I'm not sure if it just draws in more than it can catch. Just remember the fly paper is there and don't walk into and get it stuck in your hair like I did the other day.

I like those yellow cone traps for wasps and hornets.

I have used a spray called "Revenge"
I purchased it in Wal-mart. It is made from a flower based
formula and is save to use around animals. I spray it
through the aisle and close the doors for 15 minutes.
I then open the Doors and the flies are gon for up to two weeks.
You can then spray again. It really cut down on the fly population.
You could just never clear out the spiders and they will catch the flies.
Hey, whatever works for you.
Dennis.

i bought an "zapper" this summer. wow....does that thing kill ALOT of flies! Only cast $30 at Walmart as I bought it near end of season....and has an attractant to kill mosquitos as well.

Should prove to be a solid aid all next year. :)

Spider webs are a fire hazard and should not be left even if it would help with the flies. I don't know exactly how it works but get enough spider webs with dust on them and you basically get spontaneous combustion of your building. Very bad when this happens in the hay filled part of a barn.

wow, akane, that is a really interesting thing to know! I'm going to whip that one out at my next cocktail party, lol

I use oregano essential oil to clean and disinfect when I really want a good clean. Like when I got all my cages used. (the kind i have you can take internally to kill any virus that may be coming on. Oregano essential oil can also kill MRSA). And, I've noticed, especially while canning peaches and getting that hot stagnant air in doorways, that the flies don't come around when I've cleaned. So, maybe, there is something to the oregano thing..

akane":3bpew6a8 said:
Spider webs are a fire hazard and should not be left even if it would help with the flies. I don't know exactly how it works but get enough spider webs with dust on them and you basically get spontaneous combustion of your building. Very bad when this happens in the hay filled part of a barn.

That is some very good information
and I will keep it on file.
Just so you know, the Spider web thing was a JOKE!
I clear out webs at least twice per week. :roll:
Dennis, C.V.R.

Any fine powder is a spontaneous combustion hazard. however, I am glad it rained because we are over run with spiders on the outside of the house and they seem to be trying to turn it into a giant cocoon lol

Back