Register

Broomstick method of killing a rabbit

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 390.00

Broomstick method of killing a rabbit

Post Number:#1  Unread postby LASGSD » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Also works with chickens and ducks but be sure not to pull too hard or you will pull the birds head right off.

I use an old broomstick, some people use a length of pipe. You want something sturdy but not too heavy.

Step 1 - set the rabbit on the ground, hold them by the middle and lay the stick across the back of their neck:

Step 2 - place one foot LIGHTLY across the stick (use just enough pressure to hold it in position) and slide your hands down the bun and grab hold of their back legs:

Step 3 - this last step is a little tricky since you will be doing a couple things at the SAME TIME (in order to avoid any undo suffering for the bun). Bring your other foot up to the stick and then press DOWN with both feet at the same time as you pull UP on the rabbits legs:

You will be able to feel the rabbits necks break. Once that happens you can quickly removed the head to allow them to bleed out (I don't bleed out the buns that are being used for dog food).

One thing you can do is attach a piece of twine with a loop in it to one of the buns back legs BEFORE you kill it. That way you can break the neck, remove the head and hang the bun to bleed out very quickly.

__________ Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 pm __________

Wanted to add ...

When you break the neck the rabbit is essentially dead. They stop breathing and they feel NOTHING. Their body will flop around and twitch for a bit. There is built up energy in the body that needs to be expelled.

The following user would like to thank LASGSD for this post
gardenbunny

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,256.00

Re: Broomstick method of killing a rabbit

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Shara » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Thank you! this is very clear and good pictures!
“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”
~Winston Churchill

I Aspire
To be as strong as a man
As beautiful as a woman
As truthful as a child
And as loving as Christ...

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Leanne » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Thank you again! I have been a little confused with reading about the technique but now I see.
Rainbow and Stormy
blogs/citylimits/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby eco2pia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Amazing how clear the pictures make that--thank you so much, I have always thumped 'em, but that does look easy. I could never quite get my head around that last step, but now that I can, I may use it.

Do you have to worry about where their front feet are? In the last pic front paws appear to be out from under, but in the first pic front paws are under the broomstick.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Marian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:27 am

It's that last step that worries me. My pellet gun has given up the ghost and I'm looking for a .22. But I think I'll start practicing with a stuffie to see if I can perfect that last step. I think broomsticking would be great for the chickens, too. Thanks for posting.

BunnyBucks: 390.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby LASGSD » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Marian wrote:It's that last step that worries me. My pellet gun has given up the ghost and I'm looking for a .22. But I think I'll start practicing with a stuffie to see if I can perfect that last step. I think broomsticking would be great for the chickens, too. Thanks for posting.

The last step does take a bit of coordination but it's not that hard to perfect. :) Practicing with a toy would be a great way to start!

Watch out with the chickens. The first time I used the stick for the chickens the whole head came right off!! I was used to the force you need to dislocate the rabbits neck - MUCH more than you need for a chicken. :)

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,200.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 am

Thank you, LASGSD! Very good, clear explanation and pics. We use a pellet gun currently, but you never know.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby DevonW » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:32 am

I use re-bar now, I found an actual broomstick was a little cumbersome and awkward.
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby dandee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:19 am

I have a rebar set aside for when this day comes. But, secretly, i just want a pellet gun.
Graham Cracker Ranch(show/pet)
Omnivore's Delight! Rabbitry (meat)

BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby DevonW » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Here is a video using the broomstick method, done by a Lady on another forum I'm on

Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

The following user would like to thank DevonW for this post
fldman

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,729.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:54 pm

ooooookay. i get it. was a little unsure about how i was imagining it if it was right. i was pretty close. thanks for the super-informative pics. very helpful! :D
Sometimes I think about how insane people are these days... I mean I am crazy.. but I am the good crazy.. My crazy makes crafts and feeds animals and makes adorable baby animals and feeds people...

FIND ME ON YOUTUBE! http://www.youtube.com/user/girlwalkswi ... ature=mhee
CHECK OUT MY ETSY! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ImperfectlyCreated

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,508.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 pm

That looks easy! We shoot 'em, but if you wanted to feed the heads to your dogs, this method would be the way to go. Speaking of which, anyone do that? Feed the heads? I am worried about the dogs becoming obsessed with the live buns if I do it- and it seems rather gruesome, so I have yet to try it.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 398.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby JueLee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:50 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:That looks easy! We shoot 'em, but if you wanted to feed the heads to your dogs, this method would be the way to go. Speaking of which, anyone do that? Feed the heads? I am worried about the dogs becoming obsessed with the live buns if I do it- and it seems rather gruesome, so I have yet to try it.

I feed the heads to my two dogs. I broomstick my bunnies at about 1 pound 12 ounces and freeze them whole. For feeding time, I thaw one out and cut it in half to make two perfect sized meals. I alternate who gets the head end. It doesn't seem gruesome to me, but I was never the sensitive type.

I haven't had trouble with my dogs trying to get at the live rabbits, but the rabbit area is well out of reach of their yard, so the temptation is minimal. I also train them to be gentle with anything I handle, so when they do occasionally get the chance to see a live rabbit up close, they are polite because I'm there to make sure of it.

I don't think my dogs associate the live animal with what I feed them, head attached or not. When it's alive, telling head from tail makes a difference to their behavior and the information they can get from sniffing or licking each end. But once it's dead, it's all equally food.
-- Jue

BunnyBucks: 45.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby fldman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 am

That seems so simple! I was contemplating buying the rsbbit wringer but...

BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 am

fldman wrote:That seems so simple! I was contemplating buying the rsbbit wringer but...

For a lot of folks, this method works really well. I tried the broom stick method but evidently I am not coordinated enough to do it well. :shock: Plus, I did not like the bruising on the shoulders. So, I got a Wringer. Have not used it yet, but I will be sure to post how it works. Normally, we use either a pellet gun or hubby does the "karate chop" to the back of neck. Both work well.

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~