Leafy Sprouts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Reaction score
I love sprouts and grow my own all the time. Very little alfalfa mostly clover based with cress or mustard and fenugreek some onion and garlic or radish. I have a few different mixes I got from Spoutpeople. I know some of these mixes are up to 30% protein they could be more if they had alfalfa (but I prefer my legumes cooked)

Okay anyway is there any reason I can not share with my rabbits? How soon is too soon to introduce them. I'm trying to up my 11 week old bucks protein. When I do start how much should I start with?

I don't know what amount might be too much but our rabbits have gotten sprouts of various kinds in small amounts. I feed the sugar gliders radish, alfalfa, or clover sprouts and the parakeets various seed sprouts such as wheat, kale, and quinoa. Neither of those animals eats much so the rabbits get the leftovers.

Certainly you can share with your bunnies. I would not give them the garlic or onions though. Start with just a few sprouts and work it up gradually. Slow is always safest as it gives the bunny's GI tract time to adjust. If your rabbits are already eating other fresh foods you can go a bit faster.

The garlic and onion seeds a very few in the mix maybe 10 seeds for every 150.... I can't pick them out very easy. Do you think that would be a problem? I do not put in actual onions and garlic. They do have the yummy for me taste, I don't know if they like those kinds of things or not.
My doe eats a cup or 2 of weeds a day without problem but my little guy has never had anything like that.

I honestly don't know if it would hurt. Probably not in that small amount. Chances are the rabbit would just not eat those particular sprouts. Just to be sure, I would suggest googling rabbits onions toxicity and see what you find.

Ack! i wasn't sure about it and i thought I'd seen my other rabbit nibbling my onion starts in the garden, so I offered a bit of onion plant when I harvesting an onion, to see if they liked it. none of them wanted any, but I think a couple got a teeny nibble. and, while I was holding my cal buck, he had a 'night dropping' in my hand that smelled onion-y.
I won't be feeding them that ever!
wondering about a couple weeds that are heavy in my garden.. jewel plant(?) and another that has a similar flower to a potato flower. It's like a cross between lamb's quarter and a potato plant. I guess it to be in the nightshade family and haven't offered any. Do you all know what plant's I'm talking about?

I wouldn't feed anything that even might be a member of the nightshade family. I can't picture the plant you mean... perhaps we don't have it here.

Regarding your "jewel plant", is this the one you mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Jewelweed

I have heard you can feed it to rabbits, but I have also heard that members of the impatience family may be toxic to some animals. So I don't feed it. There are so many other plants to choose from. My geese don't touch it, nor do the chickens and I have never seen a cottontail eating it. It's great for skin irritations and poison ivy rash though!

Latest posts

Back