How do you sell to Raw feeders?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I'm sure this has come up before, but not sure.

I see ads very rarely last. Usually people flag like stupid, every little thing they don't like, no matter where the ad is placed...

How do you guys advertize rabbit for raw dog/cat food or for reptiles? General prices? I have nothing to compare to..

In the post, I see the phrase "live weight". This has come up reciently, will see if I can find the post.
edit: in the 'cl' post I see "live weight"
the RT post is snake-food-t8835.html

When giving the people options to not include heads or guts, do you still charge full weight of the animal? Basically, they buy based on live weight or based on what is left after they choose what parts??

I charge by the amount of work I have to do. Cheapest is if I just shoot it and freeze it. Depending how many are bought I may not charge anymore than live which runs about $5 here. Most expensive is if I behead, skin, gut, and portion out certain sized meals in to freezer bags like I do for my own dogs.

You can usually get away posting in the farm section of cl otherwise there is ebay classifieds and hoobly.com. Then there are several raw feeder yahoo groups.

i charge live weight regardless. If I have to clean it or anything, live weight charge increases by 50 cents/lb.

Cheapest is just to get the entire rabbit.

The way I found my first raw food rabbit breeder was at a reptile show. Granted I own no reptiles but had a dog at the time who loved frozen bunnies as a snack.

For Canadians? Can we process rabbits for reptiles and raw dog food or do we have to go through the huge undertaking of abbotoir/slaughter house CFIA?
Where do they draw the line on this?

Stever":1wsf4xrh said:
For Canadians? Can we process rabbits for reptiles and raw dog food or do we have to go through the huge undertaking of abbotoir/slaughter house CFIA?
Where do they draw the line on this?

You don't need inspections unless you're selling for human consumption. The very easiest way to get it inspected is to send the rabbits to the packers. I've sent a couple of batches through due to time constraints and I was pretty pleased with the results, it wasn't as pricey as I had thought it would be and I had the option of whether or not I had the carcasses inspected. The hardest part was finding a place that would process rabbits.

the caveat is that "AT THIS TIME" us folks in Canada can sell food for critters without an issue. The pet food industry in Canada is in process of being reviewed though.

Latest posts

Back