Popularity? getting to know you...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
I was thinking about it, and I began to wonder, how many of us on here were "cool" in school? How many were picked on...be honest, were you bully?

It just seems we all get along here pretty well (at least online, lol) and I was curious, who were you in School?

I'll go first...I was the little girl, short little teachers pet. And only because none of the kids liked me. They teased me because I was nice to the underdogs, but to be honest, I brought alot of it on myself because I was so different. I shaved my head in highschool, wanted to be a boy, ran away all thetime, and ended up a teen mom.

Totally not sobbing, by the way. Kids are kids and alot of my experiences shaped me for the better. But that's who I was...

Who were you?

I was the serious kid in the front row who always had her hand up to ask or answer questions. Not very popular. Our family was different: we gardened, Dad hunted, we lived pretty close to the land. The other kids all lived in the subdivision across the highway with little yards and seemed like aliens to me. I was the oldest girl in a family of five kids and had too much responsibility too young. I grew up too fast in some ways and not fast enough socially. Never "cool". I started writing stories when I was ten and that is something I have carried with me through life. A big chunk of who I am.

I was the kid that got made fun of. I wasn't skinny enough and didn't wear the right clothes. Until highschool, I was the fat, poor kid. In highschool, I learned to fight back. I got a very nasty comment from a kid and knocked him and his desk into a cabinet in the science room. There was some blood, and nobody bothered me after that.

I later became the freak with blue dreadlocks, piercings, and punk-rock clothes. Total rebellion of who I was and where I came from.

Thank goodness, I grew up. Now, I'm rebelling against that rebel and have become the person I once dreaded. Turns out, she's not so bad. Although, she does carry some baggage from being teased so relentlessly.

i was the quiet child at school, the loud one at home. :) The middle of six children who never measured up (according to teachers) to my older siblings. ah well.. life moves on. :)

I was bullied and pushed around by it seemed everyone (except my folks and younger sibs), and it took me a LONG time to learn to stand up for myself.

I was the school nerd all through school. In the seventies and eighties when other kids had long hair I had a short buzz cut, glasses and high marks and got called Doctor, Scientist and Eddie Haskell. I stopped taking homework home in about grade six because I could run faster and get away from kids who wanted to rough me up. I had to leave home when I was 17 so never finished high school. It's been a rough ride since then but I'm still here....

I was teased... because I was skinny, because I didn't wear popular clothes, because I didn't listen to popular music, because I gesticulate a lot when I am talking, because I am Christian, because I didn't wear makeup.

In seventh grade, I was teased so mercilessly that I snapped one day in the lunch line. This boy was teasing me (and being encouraged by most of the kids around) and I socked him. He hit me back, and we were both restrained by the surrounding kids. They were gleeful as they talked about how they were going to tell the teacher (my science teacher) when he came back.

He returned, and they excitedly spilled to him about me starting a fight. He came over to me, and shook my hand and smiled.

He had seen what I had endured all those months (this was about 3/4 of the way through the year), and I was not disciplined for what I had done. I never did it again, either.

After that, I applied for and was accepted to a "Gifted and Talented" program. I started in it in 8th grade, and it wasn't nearly as bad. Once I was in a GT high school program, it really improved. After all, everybody in the GT program was by definition a geek. We were all misfits, so it didn't matter any more. We all just wanted to learn.

I was the quiet kid, very shy and tried to blend into the background. Did it so well that all the kids thought i did not belong in that class at graduation. Though i had been in the same district since kindergarten. I was not picked on to much and hung out with the Gothic kids. But would talk to the popular kids as well Most of my friends were a grade or 2 older then me. My hubby was 2 grades a head of me. Though in school i dated his friend we did not get together tell after school.

I was the fat poor kid who didn't wear the right brand name clothes and the only way I got a date was because someone dared a guy to ask me out.

Now I'm a not as poor fat kid lol.

I've made a post twice now and each time I tried to reply I deleted it! ack.

I'm pretty bubbly and get along with everyone. always have been able to fit into any situation. In high school (15yrs ago) I was a 'star' athelete, got the grades, and I was a joiner of all sorts. I was nice and friends with everyone! but was always on the fringe of each group. I had one good girl friend and we were just wacky and crazy and fun.
I have been bullied alot, though. I've always had a bigger stature which got some 'chubby' type taunting. but, I'd just 'your momma's so fat right back'. I got bullied pretty hard by a 'good' friend of mine who was very jealous that I was the only freshman to make varsity in our 4A school. she did some of the most awful things to me,then later confessed her jealousy. I've always illicited that kind of bullying or pettiness from girls. I was considered a goody two shoes and little miss perfect. Another group of girls would manipulate other girls who were dying to fit in, to pick on me or try to get me in a fight. I've never been in a physical altercation. (unless you count self-defense during a violent attack)

I have a strong and large presence that I'm oh so aware and sensitive about. I'm perceived as confident and "super woman" by my friends, and this often threatens people. especially women who are not so self-confident. my directness and sure of self (which i think is just a perception of me) tends to intimdate some people, but, again, I'm super self-conscious of that and try to make myself smaller sometimes.

I have never really fit anywhere. I was "Encyclopedia Brandy", the miniature grown-up that knew all the rules to all the games and was known for being so fair that kids would actually appeal to me to referee, but I couldn't PLAY any of those games. I was above all the school pettiness mostly, but I was sooo lonely. No one got my jokes and I kept trying to figure the deeper meaning in their fart jokes and just couldn't find it. I was a junior in High School before I realized that kids laughed at me because they didn't understand the words I was using and it made them feel dumb. I learned to talk good instead of speaking well, and got on better after that. I still am very aware of when I have to dumb down my speech, or play a role that is not me. That is why this group has been such a relief.

Wow,
you all have certainly had a pretty rough beginning.
To tell you the truth it wasn't all peaches and cream for me.
growing up in the late 50's I was a slight build and short,
and wore glasses. The one always marked as the easy target.
Like most of you I was bullied in the beginning.
When I realized that, it doesn't hurt so much to take a shot or two.
When two guys much bigger than me accosted me in the school hallway,
I had had enough. I don't know what came over me but I grabbed
one of them by the front of his shirt and pinned him to the wall ready to bust his face.
I figured his friend would cripple me but he ran like a scalded RAT!
That's when his friend [The one I had pinned] started to shake in his boots.
That's when I realized that Bullies do what they do because they are afraid
themselves. I am not a bully nor a tough guy, but I refuse to allow anyone to
stifle my actions. I have since never been afraid to take a beating for some
worthwhile cause. Since those early days I grew UP. I learned a lot by serving in Viet-nam.
I don't believe in war, it solves nothing. A lot of young people on both sides DIE.
What good is that? If people don't believe/think like you/we do, you cannot change them.
Everything in life is a lesson, with each passing day comes some other problem to face
and conquer. Somehow everything always works out for the best.
I have rabbits only because I know I will always have a reason to get up in the morning.
They have to be fed and watered. I have threatened to quit a number of times, but I just
can't follow through. Hmmm, I guess I am too infected with Rabbititis.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Wow, Dennis, you had quite a time, too!

I admit I do believe a few things are worth fighting for, but that most of the fighting we've done since WWII has been unnecessary and badly handled. We can't solve the ills of the world. In the rare cases in which our fighting is called for (like if we are attacked), we should go in to win. Get the job done as quickly as possible, as decisively as possible, with as few losses as possible, and with as little input from politicians as possible. The way we ask our soldiers to do things these days, while we tie their hands at the same time, is outrageous.

Okay, I didn't mean to go into all that. :)

I'm glad you have rabbits and that they are therapeutic for you. Rabbititis is one of the few beneficial infections out there! :lol:

I appreciate that post Miss M,
life can not be faced on a daily basis without a little Levity.
I would always back the
American fighting Man & Woman, they are doing their job!
Though I don't believe it solves anything, brings nothing
but DEATH and more hatred to Americans.
If a Country we are helping was really interested
they would have picked up the ball by now
and started running toward their goal.
I don't believe the countries we are trying to help?
really care about the cost WE are paying!
Sorry, I know this doesn't belong here.
In these times, I try to always keep a cheerful outlook.
SMILE and you day always seems just a little bit brighter!
Have a GREAT DAY!
Dennis, C.V.R.

Back